Releasing brake kills engine, seat switch tested with multimeter

mankii

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Releasing brake kills engine, seat switch tested with multimeter
I have a Snapper model 7800785 with B&G 12.5 hp Intek engine. I just bought it used, but did drive it around a bit before this problem started. When I release the clutch/brake, the engine dies without any indication of strain. I had changed the oil & filter, fuel filter and spark plug, and it starts and runs great with the pedal down. With the pedal down, the blades will spin up fine, too. Checked the seat safety switch with a meter, works just fine. I'd sure like to know which is the more likely issue to check first.

Michael D

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever get any help. Have the same mower and exactly the same problem. Thx, Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I dont generally answer Snapper questions cause we don't get them down here, not even rebranded ones.
It is a safety switch problem and most likely either the seat switch or the parking brake switch.
And by switch I mean the switch and the wiring between switches.
People unplug the seat switch then just leave the wires dangleing.
Then the dangeling wires get pinched or worn through and short out just the same as if the switch was still connected and no one as in the seat.

mankii

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it was the deck switch. A friend followed wires into the enclosure opposite the battery compartment and while he couldn't figure out why the deck switch was cutting the ignition, by unplugging that connection, it no longer does that. The seat safety switch still works as it should.
Did you ever get any help. Have the same mower and exactly the same problem. Thx, Mike