Speed-Feed Trimmer Head Problem

Shawn R.

Threads
I ordered a Speed-Feed Trimmer Head and received it yesterday along with Oregon 69-200 Super-Twist Magnum Gatorline. Today I decided that I was gonna cut some grass with the new head and gatorline but caught hell trying to open up the head. It took me and another guy just to pry the head open... I replaced the part that screws onto the weed eater with one for my trimmer and took out the line that was in it and then put the head back together. I screwed the Speed-Feed Trimmer Head onto my trimmer and then tried to put in the gatorline but caught hell doing that because the line is curved and won't straighten out. I could see the line through the eyelet but couldn't get it to come through so I had to take some tweezers and pull it through. I made sure both sides were the same length (each line was 6 feet) and then started to turn the dial that pulls in the lines but it wouldn't work. It turned but it wasn't doing anything. I've watched videos on how to setup a Speed-Feed Trimmer Head and they make it look so easy when it is not. Turning the dial doesn't pull in the line and I'm not sure why. What could be the issue?

EDIT

Ok. I just realized that the line I was putting in was curving around the inside of the head. It's supposed to go straight through the middle and then out the other side. When I turned the dial, it sucked in the line like it was supposed to so that problem has been resolved. The orange line that came with the speed-feed head is a heck of a lot tougher than the gatorline. I can't even cut it with scissors, lol. Yeah, I tried that gatorline and it seems to be as weak as the cheap line I used to use. But that orange line is in a class of its own. Any idea on the brand?

Last edited:

mikehouse

Threads
Wouldn't it be Stihl's brand?

Shawn R.

Threads
The seller said it's an aftermarket product.

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I do is pull out 20 feet of .095" line, hold the 2 loose ends & work my way up to the midway of the line (10') & kink it there, & roll it up for my next load, so it's ready & waiting.

But the Speed Feed has 2 catches on the head cap, you simply depress both, & pull the cap head out. But for just loading line you Never have to remove head cap, just line up the arrows or look to see a clear passage straight thru the head, feed in the line, you may need to spin the line a lil, to get it to go all the way thru, but once you do it. You will see how simple it is.

Then I pull line thru till I get to the kink I put at the midway point. & I hold the 2 strings as I clock the head to wind in the string, this just keeps the string tighter on the spool, since I load 20 foot at a time.

PS: Echo has an orange string, it's called Echo Cross-Fire*, & has 8 cutting edges. Very tough string. I cut it with sidecutter pliers.

Shawn R.

Threads
Ok. Thanks for the info!

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: