Briggs - Breather venting to air filter kills engine - Husqvarna

Kapala

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs - Breather venting to air filter kills engine - Husqvarna
I have a 4 year old Husqvarna walk-behind with a B&S 175cc engine (111P02-0116-F1). engine wouldn't start - started trouble shooting and found that when the breather tube was disconnected from the air-filter housing the engine would run. With engine running, i would ease the breather tube back into the air-filter housing and the engine would quit. No oil seems to be coming out of breather, but perhaps there is some exhaust coming through that is starving the engine? i did see some wisps of white smoke coming from the breather tube, but almost to thin to see. Engine also backfires through exhaust pipe when engine shuts down. Any ideas?

thank you!

-BK

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the oil and see if it smells like gas. Gas fumes through the breather will act like a choke closed causing a rich run issue.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old/dirty is the air filter element?

Kapala

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replys:

cpurvis - air filter is original, but not that bad - However, I am replacing it.

ILENGINE - I'll give the oil a sniff tonight. I plan on pumping the oil out and replacing it this weekend. if there is gas in the oil, could this be a symptom of a carburetor that needs cleaning?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes clean the carb and also check the valve settings..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replys:

cpurvis - air filter is original, but not that bad - However, I am replacing it.

ILENGINE - I'll give the oil a sniff tonight. I plan on pumping the oil out and replacing it this weekend. if there is gas in the oil, could this be a symptom of a carburetor that needs cleaning?

that would mean gas is leaking and getting into the engine either through the breather or past the rings.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the replys:

Hook up the breather hose, remove the air filter element and try it.