Model ID for diagram

06compound

Threads
Just heed the warning about power on those yellow wires.
leave the coil kill wires off till you have wired the mower, started it and tested for voltage on the yellow wires at the coil

I got it fired up and i got 0 volts on the yellow wire that connects to the coil. So I'm guessing that's what i want?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got it fired up and i got 0 volts on the yellow wire that connects to the coil. So I'm guessing that's what i want?

BETTER NOT have voltage on the coil "KILL" wire it's a ground wire that when hit with voltage will fry the coil .

so what about everything else..?? You're good to go ..??

06compound

Threads
That's what i was thinking about the kill wire. Everything else is good, just gotta connect all the wires. I appreciate the help very much.

06compound

Threads
So now i lose spark once i hook up the kill wire to the coil. Looking over the diagram, the discrepancy i see is terminal L. There is only red wire on terminal L. The diagram shows a gray wire thats supposed to be in there as well that runs to the solenoid in the carb.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
So now i lose spark once i hook up the kill wire to the coil. Looking over the diagram, the discrepancy i see is terminal L. There is only red wire on terminal L. The diagram shows a gray wire thats supposed to be in there as well that runs to the solenoid in the carb.

Without the wire harness and connectors it makes the job tough..... what color wires WERE on the carb solenoid .. GRAY & YELLOW ..?? in the diagram, the gray is "shared" with the RED which is getting power from the DC out of the stator, the YELLOW wire on the solenoid, is the GROUND wire which goes back to terminal M on the IGN. sw. which goes to the safety inter lock switches ....... do you have those still on the machine and connected, I CANNOT see what you have there and as I said without the connectors it's a headache, go look at the pictures I sent and see how the wires are looped in the connectors.
you should have 4 (four) wires coming FROM the engine, a RED & BLACK (from the stator) and a GRAY & YELLOW from the solenoid these go to 2 (two) small connectors which in turn go to the main harness, which connects to the ign. sw. if the safety switches are hooked up (and working) you MUST be sitting in the seat, blades DIS-ENGAGED, and trans in NEUTRAL with CLUTCH pedal pressed down, JUST BE SURE THAT WHICH EVER WIRE YOU HOOK TO THE COIL, .. DOES NOT HAVE VOLTAGE WHEN THE KEY IS IN THE ON POSITION !!!!! AS I stated earlier if you plan to keep the machine I would buy the wire harness's and end your nightmare ! It's NOT worth the aggravation and problems later . also : some Murrays used different color wires and some were wired a bit differently, without your exact model number, we're shootin in the dark, might have to check out a different harness set-up, and start over. .. ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's another diagram, actually wired the same but you might be able to read this one better, you'll have to convert the numbers to the letters, no problem ..Right ?? Are we having fun or what ..?? ( LOL ) ... :confused2:..:confused2:..:confused2:

222 NEW DIAGRAM.PNG ......... click once to enlarge, THEN click again ( bigger still )

06compound

Threads
Without the wire harness and connectors it makes the job tough..... what color wires WERE on the carb solenoid .. GRAY & YELLOW ..?? in the diagram, the gray is "shared" with the RED which is getting power from the DC out of the stator, the YELLOW wire on the solenoid, is the GROUND wire which goes back to terminal M on the IGN. sw. which goes to the safety inter lock switches ....... do you have those still on the machine and connected, I CANNOT see what you have there and as I said without the connectors it's a headache, go look at the pictures I sent and see how the wires are looped in the connectors.
you should have 4 (four) wires coming FROM the engine, a RED & BLACK (from the stator) and a GRAY & YELLOW from the solenoid these go to 2 (two) small connectors which in turn go to the main harness, which connects to the ign. sw. if the safety switches are hooked up (and working) you MUST be sitting in the seat, blades DIS-ENGAGED, and trans in NEUTRAL with CLUTCH pedal pressed down, JUST BE SURE THAT WHICH EVER WIRE YOU HOOK TO THE COIL, .. DOES NOT HAVE VOLTAGE WHEN THE KEY IS IN THE ON POSITION !!!!! AS I stated earlier if you plan to keep the machine I would buy the wire harness's and end your nightmare ! It's NOT worth the aggravation and problems later . also : some Murrays used different color wires and some were wired a bit differently, without your exact model number, we're shootin in the dark, might have to check out a different harness set-up, and start over. .. ??
The gray wire from the carb is connected to the red wire that comes off terminal L on the switch. The gray wire is looped into the terminal L red wire like in the picture you showed me.

So from what you've said it sounds like the coil is supposed to ground out the coil killing the spark? If that's the case, then it seems to be working backwards.

All the wiring is correct per the diagram.

I might have to get another harness, but i enjoy working on things like this and learning.

For now I'll wire a toggle switch into the coil kill wire to shut off the engine.
Here's another diagram, actually wired the same but you might be able to read this one better, you'll have to convert the numbers to the letters, no problem ..Right ?? Are we having fun or what ..?? ( LOL ) ... :confused2:..:confused2:..:confused2:

View attachment 37636 ......... click once to enlarge, THEN click again ( bigger still )

nope, not confused lol. I can read and understand this diagram and the first one.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A DAMN good thing you have BOTH, patience & persistance .. :thumbsup: .. :laughing:..:laughing:

actually the coil is also grounded out by the safety switches .. seat empty, blades engaged and trans in gear that's why we warned you about being sure there is no voltage on a yellow going to the coil .

06compound

Threads
I just doubled checked there no voltage on that wire. Sitting on the seat, blades engaged and trans in forward motion. Volts dropped down to -.5XX

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just doubled checked there no voltage on that wire. Sitting on the seat, blades engaged and trans in forward motion. Volts dropped down to -.5XX

NO, NO, NO, ......... in the seat, blades OFF, OUT of gear, foot ON clutch to START ! just curious, was there much left of the original harness's ..??

AND I guess all your safety switches are working ..??