Honda HRX217HMA electric start won't crank

BF2_lmf

Forum Newbie
Threads
(cross posted from another forum)

I bought a used 4 1/2 year old, Honda HRX217HMA this week. The previous owner said it has very few hours, and it cranked last June when he put it away. He tested it again before I picked it up he found that it didn't crank. I bought it anyway, because it starts first pull with the cord, and is otherwise a great mower, and I got it for a decent price.

I charged the battery for 24 hours, and it still doesn't crank. The battery has 12.6 volts when checked at the charging connector (I checked with the connector unplugged). I pulled the fuse and checked voltage at the fuse block, and I have 12.6 volts when I turn the key to start. I tried to check current at the fuse, but didn't get a reading. I'm not sure if I checked it properly, however. Would a battery be dead if it shows 12.6 volts? Is there anyplace else I should be checking?

Ava.Feret

Threads
I uploaded a diagram. Hopefully you can see it.

Attachments

• HRX HZA Diagram.png
    HRX HZA Diagram.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 57

BF2_lmf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I uploaded a diagram. Hopefully you can see it.

I am able to view the diagram, but it is quite small and gets very blurry if I try and scale it up. Can you repost, or provide a link? (I have a saved favorite to the Honda parts diagram on peparts.honda.com, but I don't see any wiring diagrams available)

Ava.Feret

Threads
I feel the Battery is bad. Just because the sealed battery has voltage does not mean it has the crank power. Put the meter on the battery. Turn the key and see if it still has 12 while in the crank mode. If It goes low the battery is bad.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if you volts on the starter side of the solenoid when you turn the key, if you have remove the starter and test it, if you don't have volts at the solenoid when you turn the key to start then you may have a problem with the safety switchers. if you are not sure about the battery then jump it with another one to see. or take it to a battery center to test it.

Ava.Feret

Threads
Going by your post you said you have 12.6 v at you fuse and you loose it when you turn the key. Please do not remove the starter. This is not necessary on this part of the troubleshooting. If the motor was shorted the fuse would blow. If the motor was open the voltage would not go low.
The sealed AGM battery will have a memory, but when they are bad they will put out 0 when they get a load.
The only way to test this battery is with a load.
Find another battery.
Also be careful if you have a power supply because you do not want to damage the charging circuit on the engine.

BF2_lmf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all who responded. The problem was indeed the battery.