10.5 HP B&S Backfiring/Popping.

czmorris

Threads
Just an update on this since I haven't posted in some time. I finally got a chance to get it all put back together and today was the first time I have used it to mow the yard since.

Before that I took the valves back out and cleaned them until they were smooth. When I have a chance to upload them I will share the pictures here. Both valves were lapped after and sealed well. The rust spot on the stem was gone and both valves moved well after reassembly.

I had to get new head bolts in order to reinstall the head as the old ones would not torque to the 18ish ft lbs required. They stretched.

After putting everything back together with new gaskets, oil check, valve adjustment, ect it started up on the first try but was still backfiring through the intake but sounded a little better. Being suspicious of the replacement carb I reinstalled the original carb and after some struggles getting it started the mower runs smoothly. Aside from a sticking choke on occasion when trying to get it started cold. I am no longer getting the power drop and the struggling to run that originally caused me to start working on it. I suspect the valve work fixed my original issue and it was masked by the cheap replacement carb.

Thank You to everyone for all of the help and the comments. I will try to post some more pictures when I get a chance.

Regards,
-Zach