Anybody miss the mowing with all the hot weather around the nation?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Anybody miss the mowing with all the hot weather around the nation?
I have barely had to do any for the past two or three weeks, then over the weekend I did the trimming and push mowing early in the day before the temp hit 85, and than at 8 pm I took the tractor out to do the big areas. I got my entire place done over the weekend...usually when there is a lot of rain I never really get caught up, ever. Hey, only 16 or 17 to go for the day.....:thumbsup:

Black Bart

Threads
Nope I don't mind sitting in here with the ac running plus saving gas money. :biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
For me the big factor that can cause me to skip mowing is lack of rain. This year the rain has been consistent enough that I've needed to mow every week.

In the city my yard is tiny so mowing is no big deal -- it still makes me sweat but it's not much effort. My Cleburne County place usually gets mowed at night -- no neighbors nearby to be bothered.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope I don't mind sitting in here with the ac running plus saving gas money. :biggrin:

My latest electric bill that I paid online was $268 for the month, that is close to NINE BUCKS a day for juice, it's 92 right now. Glad I am indoors.

173abn

Threads
the only grass that needed mowing was around my deck and pool so I broke out the push mower,took me half an hour..temp 108. russ

rmancini

Threads
Our summer started about 3 days ago. Some nice days here and there but for the most part - cold and rainy. It seemed like an extention of winter.:frown:
I suppose I shouldn't complain seeing as most of the nation is roasting but it sure was strange to have the furnace running in late July.:eek:
I wasn't able to mow as often as I'd like because it's been so wet.
Rich

LandN

Threads
i got out my old cylinder mower the other day and figured i try it out for a while, i made 2 passes and quit... way to hot:biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
To answer the title? No. It's too GD hot to move, say nothing of start up my mower to breathe its' heat on me.

With the humidity, I'm too busy spooning the air into my mouth.........'cause it won't move by natural means........:thumbdown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
To answer the title? No. It's too GD hot to move, say nothing of start up my mower to breathe its' heat on me.

With the humidity, I'm too busy spooning the air into my mouth.........'cause it won't move by natural means........:thumbdown:

Hit 95 here yesterday afternoon at one time...

wildbill

Threads
Miss mowing? I enjoy repairing mowers in my spare time..... which is abundant since I retired last year. But, I would rather eat manure with a pitch fork than mow grass..... too hot. SO, I did install a 48" diameter umbrella.... here is how if any are interested:
1- Go to Walmart and get a large, cheap umbrella that has a straight handle, not a hook type.
2- Use a grinder to 'round' the handle to a diameter that will slide into a piece of pvc pipe. You will have to measure the inside of some different sizes of pvc pipe at a Lowes or Home Depot
3- Once the pipe size is determined, get a about a 5 foot section, a tee, and a couple 2-hole straps. Note that you can use bushings to reduce these pipe fittings down to a smaller size, but do not get them smaller than a 1" sch 40 for some rigidity.
4- The tee with a piece of 12" length inserted into both sides of the tee will bolt to the floor board using the 2-hole straps.
5- The hole in the tee facing up will have another piece of pipe that will rise up to a length determined by the user's height. The umbrella will slide into the top of this pipe.
The pipe will be directly in front of you, at least that's the way mine is. There are other ways to accomplish a mount, but this was the easiest for me.
Now, we (my wife loves to mow) mow the 2 1/2 acres at noon. Its like mowing under a shade tree.:smile: