Lazer XP Electrical Starting Issue: Beeping instead of glow plugs pre-heating

gsines

Threads
  • / Lazer XP Electrical Starting Issue: Beeping instead of glow plugs pre-heating
When I turn my key to the on position, instead of the silent waiting period for the glow plugs to preheat, the warning buzzer immediately begins intermittent beeping and the glow plugs don't preheat, so the engine will crank when I turn the key to start, but won't start. I checked the obvious reasons this should happen first. Brake is set. Both drive levers are in the neutral and outward position, and the PTO switch is disengaged. Next I verified that all the switches associated with those functions are operational. I metered them all and bypassed them individually so I'm confident they're working. I thought I might have been getting some erroneous readings when I metered the PTO switch, so I replaced it just to be sure. Still no luck. I've also checked my engine oil level, and the sensor in the seat shouldn't have anything to do with the problem since the engine should start even if the operator's not in the seat provided all the aforementioned conditions are met.

This problem first occurred a couple times last season, but it never persisted and I figured I had an intermittent connection in one of my drive lever limit switches. This spring it started fine the first time out of the garage, but I got nothing but the beeping the following weekend. That's when I started checking all the switches and replaced the PTO switch. I have not resorted to checking every electrical connection on the entire machine yet. All the connections I've checked so far all looked good; clean with dielectric grease already applied. I'm hoping someone who reads this may have encountered the same problem and has some advice for me. Really hate to resort to hauling the mower to an Exmark dealer for service for an intermittent electrical problem that I can't help believing is something simple that I'm overlooking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gsines

Threads
  • / Lazer XP Electrical Starting Issue: Beeping instead of glow plugs pre-heating
Update: Problem solved.

Being suspicious of my relays but not knowing how to troubleshoot them, I happened across an online repair manual for my Daihatsu engine that included instructions on how to test the glow relay and the test showed the relay was not functioning as it should. Not having a replacement on hand, I temporarily swapped it with the start relay and low and behold there was no beeping when I turned the key to the on position. Not wanting to attempt starting with a potentially defective start relay, I headed to my local Exmark dealer in hopes of procuring a replacement relay. They didn't have any on hand, but generously loaned me two used ones their service guys use for troubleshooting relays. I swapped out the defective one in my Lazer and it now starts like a champ! Armed with the relay manufacturer part number, TE Connectivity (Tyco) #1432791-1, I was also able to save some money ordering them from Mouser rather than from an Exmark part supplier. A big shout out to Western Maryland Outdoor Power on Deep Creek Lake for lending me their relays for diagnostic purposes! I'm guessing most dealers would not be so accommodating.