Tecumseh Spark Plug Issue (Toro 20016)

Jaraldo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning,

A couple years ago I was given my late grandpa's lawn mower -- a Toro 20016 with a Tecumseh engine. My grandmother had it serviced before she gave it to me but halfway through my very first mow the spark plug blew out of the engine. I put it back in but it blew out again within minutes of the engine running. I put it into storage and have used another mower ever since. Needless to say this lawn mower is special to me because it belonged to my grandpa (which is why I haven't gotten rid of it), but because I have another lawn mower which is in perfectly fine shape I haven't been able to justify the expense to have it repaired. I'd like to have it fixed though and I'd like to use this lawn mower as a way to help me learn the ins and outs of a small engine.

It looks like the spark plug receptacle has already been re-threaded a couple times so I'm thinking that part of the engine should be replaced. My question is: what is the name of the part that houses the spark plug and where can I get one for a Tecumseh engine?

Is there anything else I'll need to check considering the lawn mower has been sitting in storage for the past two years? It's still got some old fuel and oil in it.

Thanks!

Front.pngSticker.PNG

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
we need the engine model and serial numbers not the mowers, It shoud be stamped into the engines heat sheald. If the plug hole is striped to the point that it can't be repaired you will need a new clyinder head.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two options here
1) replace the head
2 ) fit a thread repair insert into the existing head.

The price will be around the same which ever way you go.
I fit a product called TIME CERTS which are complete threaded inserts like a reducing bush plumbers use.
These do not leak nor blowof out nor screw out.
Taking the mower to some one who fits these will cost about the same as replacing the head.
Doing it yourself will cost more because of the cost of buying the kit.

Resist the temptation of fitting Heli-Coil type wire insert, they are the most prone to failure.

After it has been fixed, buy a little jar of nickel ( silver ) anti sieze and put a tiny amount on your finger, rub your thumb on it then roll the plug between your finger & thumb.
This will prevent the plug from sticking to the insert ( or head ) and doing damage when it is removed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine model number should be LV195AE-362003B. The part you need is called the cylinder head and is Tecumseh part number 36825 and you should also get a new head gasket part number 36787. Any good repair shop should be able to get these parts for you. If you go this route, let us know when you get the parts and we will find you a service manual for your engine. You may have to give the carb a good cleaning, but we won’t know that until you get the spark plug issue resolved.

Threads
Jaraldo you still with us ?????

If I were in your area I would fix that for you for free because I have a sentimental side myself for dad and grandpa mowers.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!