2004 GH 225/61 PTO slow to engage blades. Battery dies.

Reubenjet

Threads
  • / 2004 GH 225/61 PTO slow to engage blades. Battery dies.
My 225 is having an issue where it takes the blades longer and longer to engage after pulling the PTO switch. I am also having to charge the battery after every 4 or 5 hours of use. Is the PTO issue caused by the battery not being charged? The mower will run all day along with the blades going but if I ever shut the blades off then cut them back on it takes over 10 seconds for them to engage. Also, if I ever cut the mower off after 4 or 5 hours it will not start back up.

I am not very mechanically inclined so if you can help explain what may be the problem and how to fix it in detail I would appreciate it. Also, I am not one to take my mower to the shop if it is something I can fix myself.

Any advice is appreciated!

173abn

Threads
Could be your PTO is going bad and needing to be replaced. Might give Grasshopper a call,they have techs. that can answer about any thing about their mowers. If you need the phone # it is 316 345 8621...russ

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have a volt meter ?
if so check the voltage between the + & - terminals on the battery, engine off & engine on.
Off should be around 12.5V and running ( at full throttle ) should be 13 V to 15 V.

Luffydog

Threads
And if it is charging unplug your clutch switch your meter over to ohms and get a ohm reading. Also if not charging check the fuse and then your regulator and only one thing after that the stator and flywheel. Check fuse holders as well but thinking yours might have the fuse block mounted in the fender.

qmark

Threads
Is the belts and tension good?

Reubenjet

Threads
Could be your PTO is going bad and needing to be replaced. Might give Grasshopper a call,they have techs. that can answer about any thing about their mowers. If you need the phone # it is 316 345 8621...russ
Thanks! I will call them as a last resort after I have checked everything I can.

Reubenjet

Threads
And if it is charging unplug your clutch switch your meter over to ohms and get a ohm reading. Also if not charging check the fuse and then your regulator and only one thing after that the stator and flywheel. Check fuse holders as well but thinking yours might have the fuse block mounted in the fender.
I do have a volt meter and will check the battery volts. Fuse block is mounted in the fender.