2008 MTD yardman

Major FUBAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this has already been a thread I couldn’t find it when I searched it , maybe using the wrong keywords

I recently got a 2008 mtd yardman riding mower , that was sitting since 2011. I replaced the carb, ignition switch , cylinode , fuel filter , and working on the deck drive belts. After I replaced the belt, the pto blades were engaged at start up without PTO being on. When I lower the deck to four and lower the blades turn off and the pto doesn’t have any affect.
What adjustment do I need to make for this to happen?
Thanks
FUBAR

Major FUBAR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for a picture to see if maybe it’s missing a spring that goes to the pulley all that the PTO engages .
Seems to missing something and maybe it was rigged up my a relative that had a sense of southern engineering that didn’t always bode well in the long run. Which happens to be now , while in my care.
Any help would be great

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This gets a bit complicated if it is nothing but words.
So post the model number from the tag under the seat, should start with 13 so we can dig up a parts diagram.
MTD use a funny system where the springs pull back on the deck all the time and the "engagement" lever is actually a dissengagement lever which works against the deck springs.
There is an adjustment on the lever but it is a PIA to get to.
AS the mower gets older all of the holes in the deck mounts flog out so as you move the lever to dissengage the blades the deck does not go as far forward so the tension on the belt is not relieved enough for the belt to slip.

As the belt wears it gets thinner which means it sits deeper in the pulleys which effectively makes it longer.
The new belt is wider so sits further out so when combined with some wear in the linkages can not get enough slack to allow the blades to stop.

There are also some brake pads which put a load on the blades again encouraging the belt to slip.
Over time these pads wear and the spring tempered mounting plate bends or goes soft.