Riding mower incredibly loud after "repairs"

smo1898

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman 917.272352

Recently had carburetor removed and cleaned. Also had valves re-gapped ***But the person used a pop can as a feeler!***

It doesn't matter what gear the mower is in it sounds incredibly loud and like its spinning too fast.

When the blades are engaged the mower sounds perfect

Gonna try and fix it myself this time, is it obviously just the valve gaps or is it something else?

Tinkerer200

Threads
When asking an engine question you really should post the model number at least, type and code would be great so we know what engine we are talking about. Set valves with a pop can? Both valves? Never let that person near your mower again.

Walt Conner

smo1898

Forum Newbie
Threads
When asking an engine question you really should post the model number at least, type and code would be great so we know what engine we are talking about. Set valves with a pop can? Both valves? Never let that person near your mower again.

Walt Conner

That's the first thing in the post. Yes, they set both with a pop can

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Walt Conner

What is the thickness of a pop can? I'm curious now.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman 917.272352

Recently had carburetor removed and cleaned. Also had valves re-gapped ***But the person used a pop can as a feeler!***

It doesn't matter what gear the mower is in it sounds incredibly loud and like its spinning too fast.

When the blades are engaged the mower sounds perfect

Gonna try and fix it myself this time, is it obviously just the valve gaps or is it something else?

Did this guy take off the muffler and forget to put the gasket back on it? Is the muffler shot?

Threads
Did this guy take off the muffler and forget to put the gasket back on it? Is the muffler shot?

If the engine is loud alone and then it's quiet when he engages the blades then the gasket for the muffler is not in the equation........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is the thickness of a pop can? I'm curious now.

About .002" to .005" depending who made the can and weather is was an in season can ( thinner ) or an off season can for storage ( thicker ).
Coke & Pepsi cans are thicker than other varieties because they are much more corrosive
Then there is the lining and paint, About 20% of the weight of the can is the paint & lining. I worked for a recycler in a different life.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And because there is always more to any story, why did you get this person to look at your mower in the first place ?
If the exhaust valve is opening too early you will get a lot of still burning gas coming out into the muffler causing it to go red hot and if it was thin & rusty inside, burn holes through the baffels.

Like a head gasket, if the gasket is missing from the muffler you will get a lot stronger sound as the engine accelerates which will die down as the throttle closes. usually accompanied with a few pops & bangs from the exhaust.

So the whole story please.
What was the mower running like before the service and why did you have it looked at ?

Your engine number should be on the rocker cover and should read 31C707- ????-??, if it is the same engine it was bought with.

Threads
Yes I agree with Bert and the Briggs engine..........

The valve settings are 4 thou for both................

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
About .002" to .005" depending who made the can and weather is was an in season can ( thinner ) or an off season can for storage ( thicker ).
Coke & Pepsi cans are thicker than other varieties because they are much more corrosive
Then there is the lining and paint, About 20% of the weight of the can is the paint & lining. I worked for a recycler in a different life.

When I was a truck driver, I hauled ton after ton of corrosive 8 and flammable 3's to Coca Cola & Pepsi. That's why it's nothing but coffee and sweet tea for me, now a days. Actually, just about anything with artificial flavoring uses a Flammable 3 chemical.