Not such a great start --

bullrider

Threads
When it's old and used up, everything needs work.... Including you... lol

EFI is nice but, keep in mind that just because it's EFI, don't mean you can leave e-gas sit in it all winter because phase seperation will impact EFI, just like a carb. One the e-gas seperates and gets nasty, your EFI will go south and EFI is much more costly to fix. Me, I'll stick with a carb. I can clean a carb and they are inexpensive to replace. EFI isn't.

I looked at the CC riders like you have for my wife who won't run a ZT and we mow 8 acres but after looking I decided all that plastic wasn't for me.

Actually I like the plastic hood on the CC. It doesn't rattle, it doesn't scratch, it doesn't dent, it doesn't rust. I've seen people cry about wanting a metal hood, I find that this is actually better for me.
And I understand about the fuel situation, my seasonal vehicles are stored with a full tank with appropriate additives, which is why for example my Sportster starts up in spring like I just ran it yesterday.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Update on my EFI Cub Cadet

Well - since this started so long ago, I'll recap that I bought a new EFI Cub Cadet in Spring. With about 3 or 4 hours on it the engine blew - totally - and was replaced under warranty.
Ever since I got it back the Cub has been perfect in every way. It runs beautifully hot or cold, it starts up on the 2nd turn with the throttle at any position, there's no surging or any other of the numerous things that drive me nuts with carbureted engines. I'm totally satisfied with my choice of the EFI and would recommend it to anyone. It's not a new / untested system really, it's similar to what they started putting on cars over 30 years ago only adapted for the Cub engine.

I also think that once it got broken in, the replacement engine uses LESS fuel than my old 10hp Wheel Horse was using. It's been stated that the EFI engines save 25% on gasoline use and I can believe it, which just goes to show how inefficient carburetors are and what a poor job they do of metering fuel compared to an intelligent system that keeps constant track of what is going out the exhaust.

Some might say 'but I can fix a carburetor myself'. Yes, you can, and you can bet that you will need to. At least you will try. I've had my fill of tinkering with them, and governors - another diabolical Rube Goldberg contraption.

EFI - highly recommended.

That is not true with the EFI on a lawnmower. You have to have a long exhaust, 2 O2 sensors and an expensive computer to do that.

bullrider

Threads
It may lack the sophistication of an automotive system but it still works on positive pressure instead of gravity and dribbling... it measures RPM by more than a magnet pulling on a lever to (do a lousy job of trying to) maintain engine speed, and it makes easier starting and definitely uses less gas.

Fred Flintstone can have his carburetors.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
And one day when your EFI system decides to "go on vacation" for one reason or another, you can shuffle it down to your dealer who may.. or may NOT know how to repair it, and have the equipment required to do the repair, and hopefully, they can arrange for a second mortgage to finance that repair, no doubt EFI is in the future of lawn-equipment, but IMHO, it's still relatively new to this field, and has bugs to be worked out, most likely, dealer support .......

bullrider

Threads
I'll take my chances. Had enough of small engine carbs.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'll take my chances. Had enough of small engine carbs.

Bullrider, I mean no ill-will or malice, I truly hope it treats you well and lasts forever, I'm just an "ol-fart" - "old-school" guy and I enjoy fixin broke carbs, and I just think EFI is not yet ready for replacing the carb, ... not yet ! .. :thumbsup:

GMJim

Threads
At this moment I'm contemplating buying either a Cub XT2 carbureted or maybe a EFI model. As a 40+ year auto mechanic and classic car enthusiast I have always preached that carburetors as antiquated as they are can be fixed on the side of the road if there is a breakdown but EFI in cars has over the years proven to be very reliable. With EFI in a lawn tractor my only concern would be cost of repair (after warranty) and especially the level of training the dealer has. I worked for a few GM dealers and can tell you for a fact that the technicians are in some cases way behind when it comes to training on new technologies introduced. I see no reason to think the small engine guys working for the equipment dealers are any different. These machines are new and not that popular so chances are if you're unlucky enough to own one of these EFI machines and it breaks down your machine will likely be a learning tool. While talking to sales guys I was informed a new carburetor for a Kawasaki engine is a staggering $750.00. As outrageous as this is I'll bet an EFI repair could be more. I think I'll buy a carbed version for now. My next machine if I live that long could be EFI?

On a side note as I write this a very good friend of mine has been stranded in Flagstaff AZ. for 4 days with EFI issues. It would appear the dealer there is not that familiar with Corvettes?