Dealing with dog urine spots

Xave

Threads
I recently purchased my first single family home. Lawn work is a bit foreign to me. The previous owners didn't take take care of the lawn very well but I found myself researching, asking questions, and applying what I learned. I think the lawn looks a lot better now but I need a good way to deal with dog urine / burn spots in the lawn. As of now I have begun following my dog around and soaking his areas with water after he goes. I'm not sure if this has been effective. I've also read about neutralizing your dogs urine with a different diet but I was wondering how others have dealt with this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-682827776.png
    image-682827776.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

JoeM(GA)

Threads
we put 2 teaspoons of tomato juice in the dogs food twice a day, over time it changes the PH of the urine enough to not kill the grass. Some dogs never know it''s in there, some you have to start with just a taste, then work your way up. Mine are big dogs (2) 70 lbs + Labs and they pee like pouring it out of a bucket

Oddball

Threads
One thing we discovered by accident was diet has a lot to do with it. Feed your dog the best dog food you can afford. We switched our dog over to organic food years ago and then recently to raw food. Raw ground lamb patties and a dehydrated veggie mix that you add hot water to and soak for 5 minutes, and an ocassional raw lamb femor or turkey neck, and not only does he act like a much younger dog most of the time (he's now 13), and is generally much healthier, but his urine seems to be a lot less harmful to the grass now. Female dog urine is much worse than male dogs' from what I've read. I had never heard fo the tomato juice, I can see the merit and its hard to argue with results. I'd try that also.

Xave

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I've heard good and bad things about the tomato juice method. Considering I have a 129 lb dog and a 85 lb dog this should be interesting.

Hidalgo

Threads
One thing we discovered by accident was diet has a lot to do with it. Feed your dog the best dog food you can afford. We switched our dog over to organic food years ago and then recently to raw food. Raw ground lamb patties and a dehydrated veggie mix that you add hot water to and soak for 5 minutes, and an ocassional raw lamb femor or turkey neck, and not only does he act like a much younger dog most of the time (he's now 13), and is generally much healthier, but his urine seems to be a lot less harmful to the grass now. Female dog urine is much worse than male dogs' from what I've read. I had never heard fo the tomato juice, I can see the merit and its hard to argue with results. I'd try that also.

The first statement that you made ...... "Feed your dog the best food you can afford" was a good suggestion. After THAT, you went downhill in a HURRY. :rolleyes:

Being a veterinarian since 1983 and earning my Critical Care board certification I feel more than qualified to post this rebuttal.......:wink:

ANY raw food is NOT good for ANY dog. Basic rule of thumb is: If it isn't commercial dog food, and YOU wouldn't eat it, then don't give it to the dog! Raw meats and eggs, etc are a death sentence. Sure, some might get along fine on a diet like that, but 98% will end up with skin problems & stomach problems. Cancer in dogs has also been linked to these "raw diets" that you are recommending.

Feed your dog (or cat) Purina O.N.E., Beneful, or Iams and rest assured that they are getting the balance of nutrients that they need to live a long and healthy life. There ARE other brands out there that are also good foods, but they are usually much more expensive and give nothing more in return. Avoid: Ol' Roy, Alpo, Kibbles 'n Bits, & Pedigree. (I'm sure there are many folks here that will challenge that remark. But do a few years of research and then tell me your professional opinion)

In the end ...... if you own a dog, then having yellow spots in the yard is part of the game. Making an irresponsible change to the animal's diet to get rid of the spots isn't being a good owner.

FWIW ......... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have to agree, There are too many things in raw foods, cook meats and other 'raw' animal products...

You may get buy with not doing it, but it is going to catch up with you... You should not eat raw meats and for the same reason your pets should not.

Hidalgo... "Feed your dog (or cat) Purina O.N.E., Beneful, or Iams " are these not mostly dog foods... will a cat be okay on a dog food diet...? Like Beneful? Just curious and it seems you would be the one that knows... Thanks, :smile:KennyV

Hidalgo

Threads
Hidalgo... "Feed your dog (or cat) Purina O.N.E., Beneful, or Iams " are these not mostly dog foods... will a cat be okay on a dog food diet...? Like Beneful? Just curious and it seems you would be the one that knows... Thanks, :smile:KennyV

Sorry about that Kenny. :ashamed: NO ... a cat should not eat dog food (although many dogs find cat food delicious :rolleyes:) Purina makes a fine cat ration under the O.N.E. label. Iams cat food is also a good choice. To my knowledge, Beneful isn't offered in a feline formula.

The whole pet food market is flooded with advertising and appealing commercials. Unfortunately, you could compare it to the car market or even the LAWNMOWER market. :laughing::wink:

Some folks ride a "Brand Z" tractor for 15 years with no problems even though it is a known "lemon". Pet foods are the same way. "Fido" might get along perfectly fine on Alpo and raw meat and live for 25 years. But that doesn't make it a wise choice for everyone else. Sometimes folks just beat the odds ....... :wink:

Then there are the folks that say that our dog's ancestors (and the wild wolves and coyotes) live on raw meat, roots, and berries and they get along just fine. What they are failing to understand is that most of these wild canines rarely live past the age of 4 years! And our current pets have evolved from domestic breeding and bear little resemblance to their "ancestors".

Guys, don't get me wrong ....... I too HATE the yellow spots in the grass when our dog urinates in the front yard. But we consider our dog a part of the family. So we made a choice. It's either the dog ... or the yard. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much and it really isn't that bad except in the early spring when the bermuda is still a little weak and trying to get going.

And he's a LARGE dog .........

newfoundland-dogs.jpg

Chev

Threads
I found that mine doesn't do the damage he used to by keeping fresh water around all the time. I drink a lot of water and he drinks when I do. He drinks a lot and pees a lot and he no longer kills the monkey grass when he "waters" it.

It may not work for everyone, but it is worth a try.

Hidalgo

Threads
Yep ... that is a factor. The more water intake, the more the urine is diluted. :thumbsup:

Xave

Threads
Well they both drink as much as they can but they just have some potent urine.

Attachments

• image-1166650837.png
    image-1166650837.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 15