fh500V STALLS WHEN WARM

addisongravely

Forum Newbie
Threads
My friends DR mower with a fh500v stalled and would not start last fall. A couple of days ago I sprayed carb cleaner on the air filter and it started. I took it to my house and checked it out and as soon as the engine got warm it would run rough and stall.It would restart after 5 minutes but only run for a minute or so. I noticed the fuel filter was empty. When fuel flowed back into the filter is when it would restart. I checked the fuel pump and it was not pumping much. I replaced the pump, fuel filter, all fuel lines, gas cap, and soaked the carb overnight. Now the fuel filter remains full and the engine runs much stronger, but now it stills stops running after about 25 minutes instead of the 10-15 minutes before and will restart after about a minute and then stall about a minute later and repeat. I did notice if I tip the mower up when it starts to stop rpms pick up for maybe 10 seconds and then it dies. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Luffydog

Threads
Check the tank for trash. Get your a good spark tester and see while running it during this time it quits firing. Also fuel solenoid maybe getting hot and not working like it should. Also during shut down loosen the gas cap to see if that helps as well.

addisongravely

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned the tank out and put fresh gas in it.I drilled a small hole in gas cap. Last time it quit I checked for spark on both plugs-ok. I also checked to see if the fuel bowl was full-it was. It seems to be temp related but if so why does it start again before temp has gone down? It sure acts like it may be somehow being fuel starved-how I have no idea.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The instant it stops spray some carb cleaner / starter fluid down the carb and see if it will start.
If it does then you still have a fuel supply problem.
Now it can be further diagnosed by hooking up an external fuel tank when it stops.
If it continues to run then you still have trash in your tank or fuel lines.