Over choked???

Chugbug

Threads
Had to cut grass today, half choked the engine and it started and I cut 3 acres. I was WOT and turned off the PTO and then noticed flames coming from the tail pipe. Shut off the mower and noticed the choke was still at half choke. Tried to start it 4 times and every time it turned over flame would shoot out of the tail pipe. The 5th try it started and it ran great. I'm thinking with the choke open it must have dumped gas into the muffler??? I saw no damage to the mower or engine and it still runs awesome....should I have any concerns other me being a bit wit???

Luffydog

Threads
Having to run it In half to says it needs fuel. I would start at checking the gas if good fuel filter and lines and a good carb cleaning and retest to see if runs better. Might have to have a new carb.

Chugbug

Threads
I don't need half choke...I just forgot to throw the choke down to neutral. Runs great without the choke, I just didn't push it back. I was at WOT and disengaged the PTO and flames came out of the exhaust so I'm figuring the carb was spitting out fuel into the exhaust which caused it to throw out flames.... after several starts it no longer was throwing fire and ran great (choke disengaged). Was hoping it would not have damaged the engine???

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having to run it In half to says it needs fuel. I would start at checking the gas if good fuel filter and lines and a good carb cleaning and retest to see if runs better. Might have to have a new carb.
I believe he was saying that he accidentally left it half choked after starting it and operated it that way for a while.

Chugbug

Threads
Yes exactly I'm assuming the carb built up to much gas and started throwing out flames

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well the choke reduces the air flow and makes it run rich on fuel. So without enough air to fully combust the fuel it appears that it was spitting unburned fuel into the exhaust which was hot enough to burn it in the presence of enough air.

Good thing you caught it before it went up in flames. I'm surprised you didn't notice it running rough and sluggish.

Luffydog

Threads
Sorry I read that wrong my mistake. Yes prob unburnt fuel caused the issue if u haven't had it before hand.

Chugbug

Threads
It was strange, it ran very well until I turned off the PTO. Then it went crazy lol

Chugbug

Threads
Luffydog...its a 2015 Vanguard 32hp.
Serial

Engine family
FBSXS.9932VB