I got a new Tiger Cat 2 today, not sure if it is for me

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / I got a new Tiger Cat 2 today, not sure if it is for me
You'll feel much better after you change your shorts, the first few minutes are the scariest, specially when you're headed towards something, and you go into "PANIC-MODE" .. :laughing:..:laughing:

DK35vince

Threads
My wife hated our zero turn when we first got it.
After some pointers on what she was doing wrong and some operating time, she got better at driving it very quickly.
Now she loves the zero turn and zips around the yard and trees like she is racing a go cart.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My wife hated our zero turn when we first got it.
After some pointers on what she was doing wrong and some operating time, she got better at driving it very quickly.
Now she loves the zero turn and zips around the yard and trees like she is racing a go cart.

That sounds like my Mrs as well. And I enjoy doing the mowing. When I can beat her to the mower. :laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In 2008 I bought my first ZTR a Scag Tiger Cub. Having mowed for many years with garden tractors, it took me a long time to get accustomed to a ZTR. In frustration I actually got to the point that I considered selling it thinking that a ZTR wasn't the type of machine that suited me. Fast forward, with about 1,000 hours on it I wouldn't be without a ZTR and now have two. Mowing time has reduced to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time it took me to do the same with garden tractors. I still have garden tractors as ZTRs mow great but don't plow snow at all!
My wife doesn't operate any of my machines as her left arm doesn't function very well.

John R

Threads
Steer it like you were pushing a grocery cart

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No no no!! You're all set, just give it some more time. I got mine last year and started by mowing zigzags all over the place. It was REALLY frustrating. Here's what I learned, and I hope I explain this okay. Pretty much, I use one or the other handle to keep my speed consistent. Then, I use the other to steer. It's just little movements back and forth with the one as the other remains still. By using only one to steer though, you're not jerking the mower around everywhere. It doesn't matter which handle you use to keep your speed or steer. I do that about ninety percent of the time I'm on it and it works well. Give it a shot. Good luck

This is exactly how I teach customers to drive their ZTR's.
Use your writing hand to steer and your other hand to balance the speed.
Forger about one stick forward & the other back, all that will do is dig a hole in your lawn.
Concentrate on the steering hand and just let the other follow to maintain or reduce your speed.

After a few mows you will develop the required muscle memory and will be driving without thought.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of the time I operate with one hand. I take one lever (depending on which hand I am using) and hold it with my thumb and first finger. I use that lever to control speed. Then I use the remaining three fingers to steer with. If you ever learn to do that and allow muscle memory to take over you can run it almost effortlessly. You can then change hands and do the same thing with the other hand........ that way you can rest one hand or the other much of the time.

Also on a turnaround you don't bite so hard that you always have wheels rolling so that they do not mess up the grass.

JGGMC

Threads
How often do most people sharpen their Scag mower blades? I was sharpening blades on a walk behind Troy built mower every 4 or 5 hours of use.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
How often do most people sharpen their Scag mower blades? I was sharpening blades on a walk behind Troy built mower every 4 or 5 hours of use.

That is about how we do ours. If we are cutting deep bahia grass mid summer we change them 3 times per day.

We run high lift Oregan blades and try to keep about 20 to 25 sets in the rotation. We hire them sharpened. We have 4 Tiger Cats. Normally run 2 to 3 of them a day depending on the day.

If you don't have a Battery 1/2" drive Impact Wrench it would be to your benefit to get one. With it and a cheap floor jack you can change blades on a Tiger Cat in about 5 minutes. The nuts on top are a game changer. If you ever have a nut tog auld on one you can take a 4 1/2" grinder with a wafer thin blade and cut the bolt off at the nut in minutes and be running shortly.