Buying Advice Diesel Scag vs Diesel Grasshopper

Richandtd

Threads
I’m leaning towards the Scag but this is do to research on the web and that they have great reviews ect... but the Grasshopper has a good following. I mow about 5 acres weekly with my 07 JD X324 which still does a good job but i’m Ready for the Zero turn. Scag’s Factory makes all their own stuff except wheels from what i’ve Researched. Not much information on grasshopper as to are they assembled from various components from over seas or what. Both have kubota diesels. As of yet I have not visited either for the tire kicking.

mcdonell

Threads
I have a 3 yr old Cheetah with a 27 hp Kawasaki. My friend has a diesel Scag. We each have the 61" deck and mow about 3 acres each week. We service our own mowers and help each other all the time.

After comparing my mower with my friend's diesel, I have no desire to trade with him. His diesel is noisier and cost a significant more money. The only reason I could see me buying the diesel is if I was going to be continuously cutting deep tall thick grass or planned to use diesel from my pickup auxiliary tank to fill the mower.

I do not know anything about the Grasshopper. I looked at Grasshopper but in my area, most commercial guys use Scag or Hustler. Also my Scag dealer impressed me.

There are plenty of parts that are not made by Scag. I have replaced the battery, key switch, and start relay on my unit. None were Scag built. I fully expect my Scag to outlast me as many folks talk about thousands of hours with the Kawasaki motors, if properly maintained. (My Kawasaki motor has a "Donaldson" Dual filter system). I get about 50 hours a years of mowing. Doing the math, I am not likely to outlive my Scag.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get about 50 hours a years of mowing. Doing the math, I am not likely to outlive my Scag.

That depends on how old you are now. You're not going to get 'thousands' of hours out of an air cooled aluminum gas engine at a utilization rate of only 50 hours per year.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That depends on how old you are now. You're not going to get 'thousands' of hours out of an air cooled aluminum gas engine at a utilization rate of only 50 hours per year.

And the reasoning behind that statement would be what ? Inquiring mind would like to know.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most engine wear occurs during a 'cold and dry' start. An engine used only fifty hours per year will have far more cold-dry starts than an engine that's run all day. The fewer thermal cycles an engine is subjected to, the more hours an engine will last. That's why airlines track not only engine hours, but cycles as well.

It would take forty years to put on 2,000 hours. By that time, parts may or may not be available.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Valid point, Thank U Sir.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
My thoughts for what they are worth.

I was running Kubota mowers. Had a 326 Diesel. It had 800 hours on it at 2 years old. It was going out of warranty.

I was talking to a guy one day that had a Scag with a Kawasaki. He said that he had one that was several years old and I forget the reason but something happened that caused catastrophic failure to the engine on it. At that time a new Engine was less than $2,000. I knew that there was no way that you would replace an engine in a Kubota Diesel for that. He was running a Tiger Cat or possibly the one that die was a Tiger Cub.

I know a guy that has a Scag that is over 20 years old and he has never had engine problems that I know of.

I have a 3540 Kubota Tractor that had to have an engine replaced in it because of Catastrophic failure and the parts and labor at the Kubota dealer was $7,000. It is a 35hp Kubota Diesel. I don't imagine that the price on one a few HP smaller is much different.

I said all of that to state the case that the Kawasaki gas engines will last for many years and if you have to replace one it is a fraction of the cost of replacing the diesel. There is not much difference in the fuel efficiency. If you do not have access to Off Road fuel then you are going to spend more money for the diesel than you will the gas per gallon.