$1500-$1700 new riding Lawn Tractor ....

HawkFanatic74

Threads
I am not really jumping into this except to say the Craftsman does not make a mower. They resale Husqvarna's and MTD's with their names on it. The 3 big mower manufacturers are Husqvarna, MTD and sometimes John Deere but I am still not really convinced that the lower line of John Deere is made by them. You will have a lot to choose from with those brands but they will all be very close to each other in build quality. The best thing you can do is go to the stores or even online and look at what catches your eye and then find it local and buy it. If you want to know who makes a mower you are looking at just ask. We will let you know.

Just stop right there. Totally incorrect

HawkFanatic74

Threads
JD do not make mowers.
The 100 series come out of the AYP ( Husky ) factory
The D series was made at the Honda factory.
The small ZTR's are made at the same plant that makes the McCulloch.

When you get under them daily it becomes obvious which mowers come out of the same factory.

Note this does not mean they are the same as there are a lot of differences, just the same a several different variations of a car can come off the same production line.

Please stop posting nonsense.

HawkFanatic74

Threads
Prove it. Most who work on them see the frames are just like Husqvarna. Explain that as well.

Because you're 100% incorrect. Have you been to the production facilities in WI and TN? "Most who work on them?" Anyone can work on a simple lawn tractor, farmers do that in their spare time. Are you an engineer? Of course there will be a lot of similarities in design and function, especially in this day and age.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Because you're 100% incorrect. Have you been to the production facilities in WI and TN? "Most who work on them?" Anyone can work on a simple lawn tractor, farmers do that in their spare time. Are you an engineer? Of course there will be a lot of similarities in design and function, especially in this day and age.

Like I said prove it. You are saying this like it is fact. You should be able to back that up. My son worked for Hydro-grear when John Deere was saying that the drives on their zero turns where made buy them. They where not he worked on the line that produced the drives for John Deere. So like I said PROVE it.

HawkFanatic74

Threads
Like I said prove it. You are saying this like it is fact. You should be able to back that up. My son worked for Hydro-grear when John Deere was saying that the drives on their zero turns where made buy them. They where not he worked on the line that produced the drives for John Deere. So like I said PROVE it.

I had to re-read that a couple times, since the post was hardly coherent. Let me understand your logic here, since the Hydro-gear drives were used on their residential mowers, much like the Dana, Tuff Torq etc. transaxles, Kawasaki, B&S engines and so on, that these mowers aren't made and assembled by John Deere, Gravely etc? Most engine/equipment manufacturers around the world share similar components, including the auto manufacturers and large farm tractors as well. Hydro-Gear makes drives for ExMark, Altoz (friend of mine is a dealer), Gravely, John Deere, Kubota, Woods etc. So what is your point? I think it's simply a matter of getting what you pay for. (like my Honda 4 stroke weed trimmer and self propelled mower)

The lower level John Deere, Cub Cadets etc. will last you if you take care of it and use it appropriately, like any other machine. I've used an LA125 at the home farm acreage for 10 years w/o any issues. This was purchased at a bona fide John Deere dealership and just last month the deck overhauled with new belts etc. We've put it through a lot of abuse, but haven't subjected it to any hills or larger acreages, that's what the 729 is for. I keep a Simplicity Broadmoor at my grandmother's farm and it has the 44" deck. Great mower, had to replace the headlights, seat, a coil and rebuild the transmission, but it's about 15 years old and I think the deck will outlast the rest of the mower. There are no hills there, so I assume I'll be able to use it for a few more years as long as I take care of it. I think it's all about how you use it and I'm fortunate to have several small engine shops, John Deere, Case IH (Fiat) dealers nearby to take care of any issues.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

AFAIK John Deer do not make anything smaller than about 2 tons.
As a mower mechanic I am under them all the time.
The frames on the 100 series are not "similar" to the AYP frame they are identical right down to all of the holes punched into the side rails making them weaker for all of the parts that JD do not fit. Every hole punched into plate add about $ 2000 to a press die so no one in their right mind would add 42 redundant holes to a die.
At the very least, the mainframe pressing , cross member casting, wheels, rear fenders pressing, instrument turrent pressing, PTO lever & housing, brake & motion levers are all made at AYP then shipped to a JD plant for assembly
However if JD was doing that for all their lawn & garden range they are loosing money on every 100 series they make.
The only part that does not interchange is the actual deck itself, the real deck lift arms and the fuel tanks, although you can fit AYP tanks into JD's I do it all the time as the AYP tanks are better.
Not having been to any JD factory outside Aust I can not vouch for what goes on in every USA JD factory, perhaps they do have a tit for tat deal with AYP similar to what they have going with sub compact tractors where JD make the top end AYP's and AYP make the bottom end JD's

Note I did not say they are a rebadged Husqvarna's, the main frame is a heavier pressing as are the body panels and the pedal pivots go through hexagonal holes with plastic bushes in them, right next to the plain round holes where the AYP mower axels pass through the frame unbushed.

Prior to going broke Murray made some JD small equipment as Murray have paint codes for JD Green & JD Yellow
Lawrenceburg paint codes
E011 J D Yellow
E511 J D green
Jackson / McKensie paint codes
- 831 Scotts Orange
- 857 J D Green
- 858 J D Yellow

The petrol powered D series ( note not the D 100 series ) and the LX series were made by Honda and they have an alloy tag on the frame rail stating John Deere and a decal near the rear wheel stating "manufactured for John Deer inc by Honda America".
I do warranty work for a local JD dealer and down here JD are substantially cheaper than most other brands because they piggy back the lawn & garden stock on the farm & construction logistics & warehousing so at least 1/2 the mowers I work on are JD mostly the 100 series. The closest big dealer sold Husqvarna so again I work on a lot of them and I fit a lot of JD parts to Husqvarna's because the JD parts are cheaper.

The diesel sub compact tractors are rebadged under a deal where JD make the bigger tractors for the same companies that make their branded smaller ones.
This is a standard manufacturing proceedure as it is not economic to make everything yourself so you make what you can make a profit on for yourself and for your competitors and they make what they can make a profit on for themselves and for you.
If the auto industry did not do that every USA plant would have closed down in the 70's when they became uncompetative against the Japanese & Korean factories.

HawkFanatic74

Threads
It may be a little different overseas, but that's not how it's done here in the USA..

John-Deere-Sportster-EZTrak-P3100185.jpg

John-Deere-Sportster-EZTrak-P3100189.jpg

John-Deere-Sportster-EZTrak-P3100204.jpg

John-Deere-Sportster-EZTrak-P3100200.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It may be a little different overseas, but that's not how it's done here in the USA..

View attachment 38506

View attachment 38507

View attachment 38508

View attachment 38509

Interesting.
Thank you for posting the photos.
I am never happier than when I have been proven wrong because from now on I shall be correct.
Interesting that 2 different brands are making almost identical mowers in 2 different factories, I would not have though the volume was large enough to make it profitable.
Now I am yet to see a JD with a black rear guard so I gather those black ones are going on a different branded tractor , thus pushing up production volumes.
When the paint lifts off the 100 series I work on here, there is no obvious undercoat it is green all the way through to the rusted metal underneath so I assume the black is the top coat.
Paint lines are nice, were the panels pressed at the same plant or did they come in for assembly from an outside source ?
I ask this because I have swapped AYP rear body pressings onto JD frames and the only difference was the fasteners, JD being metric & AYP being Unified.
I am assuming that the photos are from a JD assembly plant .

Oh and every Pontiac sold in the USA since 2000 was made here in OZ as were some other V6 General motors vehicles.
Liquize the Top end V8's sold as Holdens down here came fully assembled and badged Holden from General Motors USA.
The smaller 4 cylinder General Motors cars sold here are made either by Nissan or Dihatsu and both of them market a 6 cylinder sedan made by General Motors.

Ford sell 4 cylinder cars made by Mazda USA , we get some of them here , all branded as Fords
So yes it does also happen in the USA.