Oil/filter change interval using a Fram ultra 3416

Patrick0525

Threads
The owner of the Kohler engine @114hrs on the filter responded. He says the engine has 525hrs and always ran Mobil 1 10w30 with fill being PP10w30.

The filter looks amazingly clean.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The filter looks amazingly clean.

That can be good or bad.

Either there is nothing in your engine for the filter to catch, or the oil isn't picking it up and giving the filter a chance to catch it.

Patrick0525

Threads
I don’t think his filter on the Kohler engine is going into by-pass mode.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It can't bypass until the filter is clogged or nearly so. This one is obviously not in that condition.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More uoa data that supports the Fram Ultra filter and longer drain intervals without compromising TBN levels.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4782982/The_drains_are_getting_looonge

A car is not a mower.
If a mower was a car then we would be using standard automotive oils in our mowers as they are made in larger volumes & are cheaper.
Most mower engines had no bearings or bushes, everything runs directly on the alloy case.
Most mower engines are air cooled unlike cars which are temperature controlled.
Using data from one to make decisions on the other is just plain ignorant.
And yes auto engines are being designed to run for longer without changing the oil, it is a major research & design criteria.
Mowers on the other hand are being designed to be cheaper, not better.
When you find tollerances on mower engine specified in 0.00001" then you can start making comparrisons.

cruzenmike

Threads
I put 50 hours or more on both a Honda HRX Self Propelled mower and an Exmark Lazer Z every year and at the end of the season the oil inside is still golden yellow/brown. I only use genuine Honda and Briggs SAE 30 oil and genuine Briggs filter in the Exmark. While I cannot say whether or not a different oil or filter would yield the same results, I cannot justify changing what I do to save a couple of bucks. $50 a year to change oil in a $600 push mower and $7000 zero turn is nothing!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you find tollerances on mower engine specified in 0.00001" then you can start making comparrisons.
You're not going to find any 1/100,000ths inch tolerances in a car engine, either.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lazer controlled grinding gear measures down to those levels.
Parallel tollerance on journals in tenths of a thou.
On a mower engine they are in plain thou.

All engines are pressure fed everywhere except on the little end eyes and some use bleed off holes in the big ends to do that.

Nearly all mower engines are fully splash except the big ends on twins.

And never the less extrapolating the results from one class of an engine to cover a totally different class is pure trash engineering.
Remember when we went to unleaded fuel ?
only meaning research that was done was with avaition engines and they found significant valve seat regression under lean burn conditions above 10,000'
Then every 1/2 wit journalist blindly applied this to cars and the great head pannic resulted.
Good if you owned a head shop but totally irrevelent to normal car & truck use.

Test data only proves theories for the equipment being tested under the test conditions