ZT52HD DECK VIBRATION FIX

gravelyzthd52

Threads
I've posted a video of my rattle noise on youtube. Search Gravely zt hd 52 rattle noise and you'll see it. I also sent it to Arien's support 2 weeks ago and just got a call today from someone at Ariens. He wasn't sure what the issue is exactly but recognized that it's not normal and was going to contact my dealer on my behalf to get it in for service and figure out the problem. He was just guessing but thought perhaps it was a problem with that belt or perhaps one of the pulleys has an issue. I feel relieved now at least having someone from the company trying to help me get it fixed. If/when the dealer figures out the problem I will post again.

I just watched your video and that is the same exact noise mine makes. I will check mine tomorrow to see if there is as much slack in the belt as yours. I contacted Gravely and they simply referred me to my dealer who I just haven’t been able to coordinate a time with - my fault. They said that this is not a widespread issue. Would you mind sending me a PM with the persons name or contact info who called you? All I got was an email.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Here is my second video showing the belts, etc. during deck rattle/vibration. A LOT of slop in the belt and A LOT of movement going on in there.

https://youtu.be/GsV24nnC_Sk

Can someone who doesn’t have this issue take a video of their deck so we can see the difference?

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Does that spring have clearance all around it or is it touching metal somewhere?

It’s not touching anything. At first I thought that’s what the issue was but it doesn’t seem to be touching anything.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Watching the videos, it seems that spring's biggest side-to-side vibrations coincide really well with the noise. It's as if the spring is hitting it's resonant frequency. I'm not sure if the spring itself can make the noise but that spring would be the first thing I would concentrate on.

jcc3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys, after going to 2 dealers last fall and finding no solution for the deck vibrations (harmonics) I finally got my 52 HD out and decided to fix it on my own. After looking over it was obvious it was related to the tensioner. If you look at the way the arm was designed the pivot point gives the idler pulley twice as much mechanical advantage over the spring. I ended up machining a new arm with pivot point that is twice distance giving the spring the mechanical advantage. The vibrations are about the same however the horrible noise is now gone! The spring vibrates half as much as it used to. If you guys are interested I can post a picture of what I did.

I would be super interested in a picture! I recently purchased a new HD 52 ( 8.3hrs now) and I have a similar ( i think) jangling -metal to metal - noise which seems to come from the left side of top or under deck (as you look down from seat) whne PTO engaged. The dealer rep - salesman - drove back day after delivery (58 miles one way) and pronounced it OK no problems even after riding and mowing and hearing the noise so I kinda sorta fell better but its a disturbing noise.

I will try t look at the tensioner but novice eye may not recognize an issue.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
I would be super interested in a picture! I recently purchased a new HD 52 ( 8.3hrs now) and I have a similar ( i think) jangling -metal to metal - noise which seems to come from the left side of top or under deck (as you look down from seat) whne PTO engaged. The dealer rep - salesman - drove back day after delivery (58 miles one way) and pronounced it OK no problems even after riding and mowing and hearing the noise so I kinda sorta fell better but its a disturbing noise.

I will try t look at the tensioner but novice eye may not recognize an issue.

Contact Gravely and point them to this thread. They need to know that more people have this issue and they can also contact the dealer on your behalf. Gravely emailed me the other day with a list of possible issues that could be causing the noise that they will recommend my dealer looks at.

jcc3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've contacted Gravely and opened a case and I've added my experience. Hope there's some useful feedback from Gravely - my dealer heard the same noise rattling and said "belts just need to wear in - you're OK".

Cphillips82

Threads
Wow well theres definitely a couple of us now! I haven't gotten mine in for service here yet as I've been too busy and I actually havent had to mow much as its a bit of a drought here in NY but I'm going to try to call back that guy that contacted me from Ariens/Gravely and let him know about this thread.