ZT52HD DECK VIBRATION FIX

NealS

Threads
Did the new deck fix which cured the noise, have any effect on the belts flopping as seen in your video?

my87csx481

Threads
Sorry for the thread revival.

I have a brand new 2019 ZT HD 52 that is is making the same exact noise as Fueled Iowa and Chad Phillips. I have 7 hours on the machine. It has also developed a whine when the PTO is engaged (at around the 6 hour mark).

Did a new deck shell fix the rattle issue? Does your belt still flop around wildly?

One would think they would have corrected this by now.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Sorry for the thread revival.

I have a brand new 2019 ZT HD 52 that is is making the same exact noise as Fueled Iowa and Chad Phillips. I have 7 hours on the machine. It has also developed a whine when the PTO is engaged (at around the 6 hour mark).

Did a new deck shell fix the rattle issue? Does your belt still flop around wildly?

One would think they would have corrected this by now.

Sorry for the delay. The rattle is pretty much gone but the deck still makes noises that are most likely just the belts and blades that I sometimes hear. I think the only reason I notice those noises though is because of the experience with the rattling as whenever I hear something I listen to see if the rattling is coming back.

Now I just need to figure out how to block debris from coming out of the front of the deck and up onto my legs and all over me. I would love to mow without getting covered in grass clippings and debris.

The ZT HD is a great mower but the flaws with the deck will probably cause me to sell it or trade it for something different soon. The Pro Turn 260 I used while mine was getting fixed was unreal but cost more than twice as much. They have a new Pro Turn ZX that isn’t too much more but it looks like it has the same exact deck. Whatever I buy I will definitely need to demo first to make sure it doesn’t have the same issues.

my87csx481

Threads
Thanks for the reply. No need to apologize. I never thought anyone would reply back.

Just got mine back from the dealer. They warrantied the groaning spindle. Their fix for the deck rattle was to install teflon washers on the discharge chute. They claimed there are no service bulletins on it.

Some of the rattle noise is gone but, my discharge chute binds up now because they over tightened the bolts (to cover up the noise). The resonating vibration/oscillation is still there.

I saw somewhere (forum or youtube) where someone designed a new PTO belt tension arm to give the spring more mechanical leverage over the pulley. I hope I can find that again. Anyone have a link?

Edit: It was this thread. sbrilla11, please post the design, or video, or something. Thanks.

Edit2: Also, I don't find myself getting covered in clippings at all, or much on top of my deck. My deck did come delivered with the deck baffles. They are red, not black like the ones in Fueled Iowa's video. If yours did not come with them, maybe they will help?

Edit3: I have been running with the discharge chute down. I took it completely off just now (eliminating as much as I can to reduce rattles). I think I will get a small amount of clippings on me now. I'll report back over the weekend, after I mow again.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I rode with my friend to take his back to the dealer in November, after the mowing season was over.

As of 6/6/2019, he still does not have it back. To the dealer's credit, they gave him a loaner to use and he's put about 50 hours on it. He doesn't like it as well, mainly because it has a Gravely brand engine which he says is hard to start. Anybody know anything about the Gravely engine?

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Thanks for the reply. No need to apologize. I never thought anyone would reply back.

Just got mine back from the dealer. They warrantied the groaning spindle. Their fix for the deck rattle was to install teflon washers on the discharge chute. They claimed there are no service bulletins on it.

Some of the rattle noise is gone but, my discharge chute binds up now because they over tightened the bolts (to cover up the noise). The resonating vibration/oscillation is still there.

I saw somewhere (forum or youtube) where someone designed a new PTO belt tension arm to give the spring more mechanical leverage over the pulley. I hope I can find that again. Anyone have a link?

Edit: It was this thread. sbrilla11, please post the design, or video, or something. Thanks.

Edit2: Also, I don't find myself getting covered in clippings at all, or much on top of my deck. My deck did come delivered with the deck baffles. They are red, not black like the ones in Fueled Iowa's video. If yours did not come with them, maybe they will help?

Edit3: I have been running with the discharge chute down. I took it completely off just now (eliminating as much as I can to reduce rattles). I think I will get a small amount of clippings on me now. I'll report back over the weekend, after I mow again.

Interesting about the baffle kit. I do have as I had purchased it when I got the mower but with all the issues with the deck I never installed it. I’ll install it to see if that helps. Thanks.

Also, I’m currently researching other zero turns as my deck is starting to vibrate and rattle again. It’s not as bad as it was before but I’m thinking that it will get worse over time as when I got it back from the dealer it didn’t do it at all. Right now I’m looking at John Deere and eXmark. Only thing I don’t like about eXmark is they use their own brand engine until you get into the real high end ones. I’ve always had great luck with Kawasaki.

my87csx481

Threads
I did notice a minor increase in clippings buildup on the deck, and on myself, running with the discharge chute completely removed....but there was a breeze too. Baffles are still installed. My "lawn" is in pretty rough shape though. Lots of weeds, and tons of dandelions. It's been neglected for many years.

I tried adding a 7/8" diameter bushing over the spring tension bolt. This didn't really do much. So I removed it.

The arm is the same part number for the 3 deck sizes. The 60 uses a different hole for the tension pulley, which gives the spring even less leverage over the belt. I drilled a new hole about an inch closer to the pivot point on the arm, and mounted the pulley there. Still didn't really do much. I'm going to try adding my 7/8" bushing again. And maybe come up with something to increase tension on the spring even more. I may try the 60" hole too....just for the heck of it.

I'm stuck with this one for now. I'll probably sell/trade it next season. Not sure what I'll get. I was trying to not spend 10k on a mower, but still get something decent, and that will last ~10 years (hopefully).

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can always just put in the ear plugs, go mow and ignore the vibration. If it's truly a problem, something will eventually break.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Looks like Gravely is finally addressing the problem. Sent this video to my dealer and asked for the same kit. He said he hasn’t seen any bulletins about it but will check it out tomorrow. Hopefully this is a permanent fix because this really is a great machine.

https://youtu.be/xf0lDSKFTgM

my87csx481

Threads
Thanks so much for sharing.

I think I did hear a little of the ring-a-ring-a-ring in the video....but significantly reduced.

I have a case number with Gravely that I never bothered to pursue with my dealer. Now I will.