ZT52HD DECK VIBRATION FIX

strick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just took delivery of a brand new HD 44. Same exact sound was coming from mine...only when the PTO is engaged. It's coming from the flip up deck plate. At least thats what was happing with mine. I notice that you have your feet all the way forward off the plate while the PTO is engaged. Try engaging the PTO and move your feet back to the middle of the plate and put pressure down with your feet and see of the noise goes away. When you lift up the deck plate in the rear there is the round bar that goes across and underneath the plate. On either side of the bar you will see where the plate has been rubbing on the bar. It's a small area on both the left and right side of the bar. I seen the rub marks in the vid on yours as well. The fix was easy on mine. I'll try and post some photos on the Lawn site you have the thred going on. Hope this helps.

strick

Cphillips82

Threads
I just took delivery of a brand new HD 44. Same exact sound was coming from mine...only when the PTO is engaged. It's coming from the flip up deck plate. At least thats what was happing with mine. I notice that you have your feet all the way forward off the plate while the PTO is engaged. Try engaging the PTO and move your feet back to the middle of the plate and put pressure down with your feet and see of the noise goes away. When you lift up the deck plate in the rear there is the round bar that goes across and underneath the plate. On either side of the bar you will see where the plate has been rubbing on the bar. It's a small area on both the left and right side of the bar. I seen the rub marks in the vid on yours as well. The fix was easy on mine. I'll try and post some photos on the Lawn site you have the thred going on. Hope this helps.

strick

I'll check this out as well but it does look like tightening that area/part seen in gravelyzthd52's video made a big difference. My dealer tightened that as well as the other arm next to it and he though those 2 things made the biggest improvement. The noise is much quieter and doesnt whir in and out so I believe I'm happy based on a few minutes of mowing at my dealers. I'll get it back on Thursday and mow my whole yard so I'll possibly have some more feedback.

Johnny C

Forum Newbie
Threads
This seems to be a positive development on the noise but I wonder if this has any effect on the belt - which on my machine gyrates in a fashion that would seem to put stress on the belt and make it wear/break a lot faster ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No.
In fact the tighter the belt the better it is for the belt.
The limiting factor on belt tightness is the cheap design of the engines which causes the output shaft hole which is also the crankshaft bearing flogging out oval

strick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok here are some pictures of where the flip up deck was vibrating on the round bar that runs across the back of the deck. And how I fixed it. I added some red adhesive tape where the contact points are. Next I added some fasteners to the front of the flip up deck I got at the local Ace Hardware. The deck already has two square holes in the front on either side as if they anticipated if needing to be secured so I just drillid them out and added 2- 3/8" bolts 3/4" long with a twist on T-fastener.

strick

20180716_174037.jpg 20180716_174043.jpg 20180716_174103.jpg 20180716_175620.jpg 20180716_175652.jpg 20180716_175702.jpg

20180716_175707.jpg

Last edited:

gravelyzthd52

Threads
I'll check this out as well but it does look like tightening that area/part seen in gravelyzthd52's video made a big difference. My dealer tightened that as well as the other arm next to it and he though those 2 things made the biggest improvement. The noise is much quieter and doesnt whir in and out so I believe I'm happy based on a few minutes of mowing at my dealers. I'll get it back on Thursday and mow my whole yard so I'll possibly have some more feedback.

That’s great to hear. I’m looking forward to your feedback after mowing for a longer period of time.

gravelyzthd52

Threads
Ok here are some pictures of where the flip up deck was vibrating on the round bar that runs across the back of the deck. And how I fixed it. I added some red adhesive tape where the contact points are. Next I added some fasteners to the front of the flip up deck I got at the local Ace Hardware. The deck already has two square holes in the front on either side as if they anticipated if needing to be secured so I just drillid them out and added 2- 3/8" bolts 3/4" long with a twist on T-fastener.

strick

View attachment 39165 View attachment 39166 View attachment 39167 View attachment 39168 View attachment 39169 View attachment 39170

View attachment 39171

Thanks Strick. I’m not sure if that is my problem though as my mower still makes the noise with foot plate up. I will definitely check though.

strick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good I saw in the vid that it was making the noise with the plate up as well. Could be vibrating ons something else while up. Easiest way to find out if it's the deck plate is to just put firm pressure with your feet while mowing and see if it goes away. The Deck plate is the only part of the mower that does not have an attachment point on one end which makes it prone to vibration. Good luck I'll be checking back from time to time.

strick

tbzep

Threads
The Deck plate is the only part of the mower that does not have an attachment point on one end which makes it prone to vibration.

strick
The chute can vibrate and make a little noise also.

strick

Forum Newbie
Threads
The chute can vibrate and make a little noise also.

Yep and mine makes a little rattle. The deck plate was unbearable. I thinking of getting rid of the machine if I could not find the source and fix it. Now I'm happy with the machine the are very well built.

strick