ZT52HD DECK VIBRATION FIX

Cphillips82

Threads
Fueled Iowa posted a video on youtube about a rattle fix he had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3QlSNvFF4

This fix has to do with the deck cover making contact with that bolt underneath it which isn't the same issue as mine but he does also mention at the end of the video that he had his clutch replaced when he first got it due to a "resonance shimmy or shake" when the pto was engaged and THAT does sound a lot like my issue. His dealer ended up replacing it only after they couldn't find anything else to try but it ended up being the fix.

jcc3

Forum Newbie
Threads
This fix has to do with the deck cover making contact with that bolt underneath it which isn't the same issue as mine but he does also mention at the end of the video that he had his clutch replaced when he first got it due to a "resonance shimmy or shake" when the pto was engaged and THAT does sound a lot like my issue. His dealer ended up replacing it only after they couldn't find anything else to try but it ended up being the fix.

The grommet wouldn't solve my problem since I dont think it would stop the belt from the violent flapping around but the clutch replacement is interesting?

Cphillips82

Threads

The grommet wouldn't solve my problem since I dont think it would stop the belt from the violent flapping around but the clutch replacement is interesting?

Dealer is picking mine up tomorrow and they plan to take their time going through it. I will keep you guys posted.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Friend of mine just bought a new Gravely 52" and his mower is in the shop for the same problem. He's getting different opinions from people at the dealership but he finally told them not to return it to him making that noise--either fix it or refund his money.

Cphillips82

Threads
Friend of mine just bought a new Gravely 52" and his mower is in the shop for the same problem. He's getting different opinions from people at the dealership but he finally told them not to return it to him making that noise--either fix it or refund his money.

Yeah I dont blame him. Any idea if theyve considered replacing the pto clutch?

jcc3

Forum Newbie
Threads

Sounds like it is newly purchased machine ? Mine is 34 days old. I am thinking to do the same but I'll have to check return policy at dealer before dumping it at their doorstep as I would like to do.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let him know about this thread when you get a chance, hopefully we will all get a fix eventually.
He doesn't do the internet but I'm relaying anything I find out to him. I've already told him that it's a systemic problem, not something that's peculiar to his mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While not being a Gravely, I had a similar sort of thing happen with a Dixie Chopper.
The Idlers went so I replaced them with a pair of similar size because the owner did not want to fork out $ 176 for genuine pulleys.
The tensioning pulley was smaller then the original by about 1/2" , not much on a very long belt.
Don't know why but even when I tightened the spring a few turns, the belt slapped around like one of the pulleys was oval.
I wondered if the pulley was not made correctly & the bearing was not concentric with the working face so I fitted a bigger pulley because that was all I had on hand and the belt ran smooth as silk, so we left it like that.
The suspect pulley went onto a Z master for a commercial customer to keep him on the road, worked fine so is still on there.

So it might be nothing more than a bad combination of pulley sizes , belt tensions & springs.