Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem

Mr. Mower

Threads
  • / Just received Hustler Raptor SD with a potential problem
As we all know, when the mower is in use and the fluids get hot, the hydraulic fluid expands.
Because the excess amount of hydraulic fluid has to go somewhere.
Thus, the reason for the "reserve expansion tank" is necessary.

When the hydraulic fluid expands due to excessive heating the reserve expansion tank will show fluid build up beyond the Full Cold Line. Though when the mower has been sitting and has cooled down then the excess amount of fluid that has built up in the reserve expansion tank will eventually, yes, drain back into it's system that it needs to settle back into. Leaving the reserve expansion tank with fluid only either at the Full Cold Line or just right below the line. But again, never above it.

But as the picture provided by the original poster shows, the fluid build up was almost towards the top of the reserve expansion tank and as the original poster explains, when the mower was delivered the reserve expansion tank was almost top full with fluid and of course was concerned. Rightly so. It was already like that.

If so then, the excess amount of hydraulic fluid had already drained back into it's system and well of course that excess amount of hydraulic fluid had to of come from somewhere?

Someone obviously added more fluid (or some type of oil) to that mowers reserve expansion tank. Probably without even referring to the manual about it. Maybe really "not thinking" and just seeing that reserve tank and decided that it was "low on fluid" and then taking it upon themselves to just "add more fluid" to the small tank, to the point of almost topping if off? Big question specifically about this is, exactly "what type of fluid" was actually used to fill that reserve expansion tank?

One of two things, if the reserve expansion tank was to continuously show that excessive amount of hydraulic fluid build up, almost to the top then 1.) the hydraulic system needs to be looked into, possible problems?....or.....2.) someone just added more fluid to the reserve tank, trying to top it off, again unknowingly perhaps?

Speaking for myself here, I know for a fact that on my mower, once done using it and all and gets parked, that reserve expansion tank does show just a bit above Full Cold Line, with excess fluid but "never" way above towards the top. After about an hour or more the excess fluid settles back in and the reserve expansion tank will show the excessive amount of fluid at the Full Cold Line or just right below it.

wallacestocky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Read this thread yesterday, prior to receiving my Hustler Raptor SD this morning. Checked the Hydro Fluid level, and just like the Gilitar's original post the level was well above the Cold Full line (3/4 full). Didn't sign any paperwork, and had Lowes take it back. Lowes completely understood my concerns, and will be delivering me another mower. Must say Lowes has been awesome through this purchasing process, and like others I due believe this is a factory issue.
I realize I could have just removed any excess fluid, but was worried there would be other issues with this mower if such a simple task like filling proper fluid levels was ignored. Was I wrong in having Lowes deliver it back? Would you do the same?
Thank you Gilitar, and to everyone else who posted on this thread.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Read this thread yesterday, prior to receiving my Hustler Raptor SD this morning. Checked the Hydro Fluid level, and just like the Gilitar's original post the level was well above the Cold Full line (3/4 full). Didn't sign any paperwork, and had Lowes take it back. Lowes completely understood my concerns, and will be delivering me another mower. Must say Lowes has been awesome through this purchasing process, and like others I due believe this is a factory issue.
I realize I could have just removed any excess fluid, but was worried there would be other issues with this mower if such a simple task like filling proper fluid levels was ignored. Was I wrong in having Lowes deliver it back? Would you do the same?
Thank you Gilitar, and to everyone else who posted on this thread.

Wow!.....another incident on the subject of excessive hydraulic fluid showing up in the reserve expansion tank.

To answer your questions....No you are not wrong in having Lowe's take it back.....and yes I would've done the same.

By chance did you (or are you going to) contact Hustler and specifically ask to speak to one of their engineer's and inquire about that specific problem?

wallacestocky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I was going to wait and call Hustler tomorrow/Monday. I'll update you guys with Hustler's response.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is why I always recommend buying equipment at a servicing dealer instead of a big box store!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I was going to wait and call Hustler tomorrow/Monday. I'll update you guys with Hustler's response.

Hopefully, Hustler will take it SERIOUSLY, and issue a SERVICING BULLETIN to ALL dealers AND Big-Box stores. Might ask what recourse a new owner in a similar situation should do in that case. .. :thumbsup:

Mr. Mower

Threads
Hopefully, Hustler will take it SERIOUSLY, and issue a SERVICING BULLETIN to ALL dealers AND Big-Box stores. Might ask what recourse a new owner in a similar situation should do in that case. .. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I'm definitely with you about that.

Now, can you imagine how many of those, just like that, have left the factory and have been sold!?

Alright, with that being said....OK lets be fair about all this.

Just maybe the factory has changed or altered it's method about the Hustler mowers hydraulic fluid in reference to the reserve expansion tank?

I know that it's all just speculation at this point in time but hopefully someone (meaning, either one of these fella's that have just received a new Hustler mower from Lowe's or even from an authorized Sales & Service place) will be able to contact Hustler Corp. directly and get some definite answers to this specific topic.

Also, hopefully each have actually read their Owners Manual on each of their specific model/style Hustler mower and see exactly what it states about the hydraulic fluids expansion tank.

wallacestocky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Referenced from the manual posted on hustlerturf.com for the Raptor SD (model # 937870).
"When the hydraulic system oil is cold, the fluid level should be at the “Full Cold” line on the expansion tank. Use only the specified oil shown."

Luffydog

Threads
Prob over filled at the factory or they send a small bottle to be serviced with the unit is sold. No more than it holds I doubt if it will hurt it. Hope it wasn't meant for the engine and there is no oil or low oil in it.

Gilitar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like this is an issue back at the plant to me.