Tecumseh Engine ID

DaveDSR

Threads
Hi to all! I'm new to the forum.
I have an 8 hp Tecumseh engine with no ID decal. It is on an Ariens ST824 snowblower. The tractor half of the machine is model number 924050, serial number 006087. Based on that information Ariens says the machine was built in 1979 or 1980, and the engine is a HM80-155128F. I bought the machine new in the summer of 1979 and the engine is 8 hp so their manufacturing date and HM80 make sense. However, according to partstree.com specification number 155128F uses carburetor part number 632111. My engine has carburetor 632037 (mfg no 665, date code 8J14). I also have the push-pull choke control wire, not the choke operator knob.

Partstree.com shows a long list of Tecumseh engines that use my carburetor (632037). I've sorted out the HM80s and created the attached list.
I'm not sure how the list will display. The post preview shows a thumbnail that opens when selected by clicking it.

Can anyone help me narrow down this list? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DaveDSR

Attachments

• HM80 Spec Nos.jpg
    HM80 Spec Nos.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 11

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
HM80-155128D
HM80-155128E
HM80-155129D all fitted with part number 632037

Your Engine HM80-155128F should have part number 632111 carburetor, if you want to believe the parts list...!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know if you've been here, but when I had my Tecumseh ( chipper-10 HP -HM100 ) this was my Go-To source for info, I had to replace the carb, but I found one on Evil-bay for $13.00 and took a shot at it, ( figured I could always buy the $90.00+ anytime if need be,) but to my amazement, engine started on FIRST pull !! only had idle speed screw, but that was fine by me, there are so many different carbs that Tecumseh used, it's unreal ........... scroll down on the page for the snow-blower carbs and investigate the whole site for that matter, also has Manuals available... keep us posted .............Boobala

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/tecumseh/carburetors.html

primerbulb120

Threads
I adapt the 640350 carb to fit most engines. It's available for $12-$14 new OEM, and can work on most engines if you swap the jets over.

I have used the cheap Chinese Tecumseh carbs before. I installed one on a 3 HP edger; it leaked fuel from the lower bowl gasket. I took it apart, replaced the lower bowl gasket and tried again. It leaked fuel through the main jet. I took it apart again, cleaned out the needle valve and reassembled. It leaked fuel out of the upper bowl gasket. I replaced the upper bowl gasket, following which the engine started and ran tolerably well. I wouldn't recommend trying an aftermarket carb unless you're willing to fix a couple problems.

I don't use Chinese carbs unless I have to, but I use Chinese rebuild kits every day.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think he just wants to I.D. his engine, I only added the comments about the carb. in case he might need parts...:thumbsup:

DaveDSR

Threads
HM80-155128D
HM80-155128E
HM80-155129D all fitted with part number 632037

Your Engine HM80-155128F should have part number 632111 carburetor, if you want to believe the parts list...!

I thank you Engineman.
There are many HM80s fitted with 632037. You mentioned 155128D and 155128E. I suspect my engine is one of these two only because of "128" in the specification number from Ariens. The difference between the "D" and the "E" appears to be the bore diameter. I won't know that unless I pull the head. I have no reason to do that now.

Thanks,
Dave

DaveDSR

Threads
Don't know if you've been here, but when I had my Tecumseh ( chipper-10 HP -HM100 ) this was my Go-To source for info, I had to replace the carb, but I found one on Evil-bay for $13.00 and took a shot at it, ( figured I could always buy the $90.00+ anytime if need be,) but to my amazement, engine started on FIRST pull !! only had idle speed screw, but that was fine by me, there are so many different carbs that Tecumseh used, it's unreal ........... scroll down on the page for the snow-blower carbs and investigate the whole site for that matter, also has Manuals available... keep us posted .............Boobala

]

Thanks Boobala. I had visited Barretts, Jacks, Partstree, Evil-bay, Amazon and others. It is unreal how many different carbs and spec numbers Tecumseh used.

DaveDSR

DaveDSR

Threads
I adapt the 640350 carb to fit most engines. It's available for $12-$14 new OEM, and can work on most engines if you swap the jets over.

I have used the cheap Chinese Tecumseh carbs before. I installed one on a 3 HP edger; it leaked fuel from the lower bowl gasket. I took it apart, replaced the lower bowl gasket and tried again. It leaked fuel through the main jet. I took it apart again, cleaned out the needle valve and reassembled. It leaked fuel out of the upper bowl gasket. I replaced the upper bowl gasket, following which the engine started and ran tolerably well. I wouldn't recommend trying an aftermarket carb unless you're willing to fix a couple problems.

I don't use Chinese carbs unless I have to, but I use Chinese rebuild kits every day.

Primerbulb120 thanks for the advice. I hesitate to buy something that seems to be too cheap compared to others. I don't need any more problems to fix.

DaveDSR

DaveDSR

Threads
I think he just wants to I.D. his engine, I only added the comments about the carb. in case he might need parts...:thumbsup:

Boobala, I guess I never actually said it in my post, but I do hope to get my engine ID.
I do, however have to replace my carburetor. There's excessive clearance between the throttle shaft and the carb body. My Carb (632037) is obsolete so I bought a service carb (631957B) and the parts necessary to complete it. My choke shaft is also obsolete so I must use my old one. I don't see any clearance problem with the choke shaft.
I appreciate all the carb info that everyone provided.
Thanks,
DaveDSR

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keep us updated Dave, Good Luck ..........