Engine throttle speed not consistent!

Rickcin

Threads
I have a CC 42 inch with a Kohler Twin Courage engine and I bought the tractor at the beginning of the season last year.
It seems that when the deck is not engaged and the engine is running in any throttle position, the engine does not running at a consitant speed. Sounds like it pulsates at different rpm’s. Should I be calling the dealer or could it be just a fuel issue since I did fill the tank with non enthroned fuel, with stabilized in early December.

Russ2251

Threads
Condition you are describing is called surging and is caused by a lean fuel air mix.
Regular pump gas (ethanol or not) would not cause this condition.
If machine is under warranty, then by all means contact the dealer.
He may make excuses as to why this happens. Tell him that you want it corrected.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a fuel related issue that warranty will not cover. You have a fuel delivery problem. Dirt in gas, Fuel filter needs to be changed, Carb needs to be cleaned or get fresh gas. I would start with fresh gas and new filter and let us know how it worked. Some have had good luck with Seafoam as well.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might be a governor issue.

bullrider

Threads
It sounds like you did everything right - full tank, stabilized gas... If it was running good and behaving properly before storage then there must be something that's gotten stuck or plugged a bit while sitting. I'd either replace the current tank of gas with fresh and add some Seafoam, or else add Seafoam to the current tank and use it up (then add Seafoam to the next fresh tank). I'd live with the problem til the carb has had a chance to recover with fresh fuel - and hope it clears up on its own. Last thing I'd do is change any settings from the correct position they were in last fall, to fix a problem that didn't stem from the settings in the first place. And DO NOT mess with the governor! If it was right last fall, it is right now.

If it turns out to be something where you need to take it to the dealer, if it were me I'd be very happy be able to tell them with a straight face that I had switched to fresh fuel etc. but had NOT taken anything apart or monkeyed with any settings. I'm sure dealers get tired of trying to fix the mess people make of their carburetors etc., and that gives them an excuse to charge YOU for the fix, saying it was what you did and not a warranty problem.

Good luck.

Rickcin

Threads
Ok, I was thinking it was some sort of fuel issue however I know about nothing compared to many members who participate on this site.

I will pump out and drain the fuel tank and then fill with fresh fuel and add Seafoam as recommended.i have never heard of this product before but can see itslocally available.

Better to use non ethanol fuel or does it not really matter? Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Non-ethanol fuel is always preferable if you can get it at the pump. It's not an option where I am, only available in cans at an outrageous price. I think there's a good chance your issue will resolve itself under your current plan.

Rickcin

Threads
Non-ethanol fuel is always preferable if you can get it at the pump. It's not an option where I am, only available in cans at an outrageous price. I think there's a good chance your issue will resolve itself under your current plan.

That good to hear especially since the tractor is virtually new, it has less than 12 hours on it so I’m hoping the Seafoam and fresh gas will do.
We have a Walmart nearby and they have a gas station there, Murphy USA and they do have a non ethanol pump and it obviously mote money. Last year, the local lawn mower repair shop owner claimed that most non ethonal stations don’t move enough gas so it could be stale so his thinking was to use premium gas.

From what I can see, the local Walmart gas station is always busy and can’t imagine their NE gas would be stale!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ethanol is much less of an issue in equipment that is run on a regular basis such as a mower during the growing season. I had a similar issue to yours with my leaf vac/truck loader that would sit for 9 or 10 months. I would add star-tron fuel treatment to it and it would stop surging. I believe it's similar to Seafoam.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with (bullrider) ... DON't mess with the governor, if you haven't done any adjustment to it DON"T !! the carb is the issue.