Changing Blades

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
And a sharp blade dulles so fast that all the money you paid goes to waste. It can only stay sharp for so long. I have for the last year been having my blades cryo (frozen then thawed then frozen then thawed again or how many times he does it) treated for hardness and it is working. Not only that but the hardness is all the way through not just the tip so every sharpening has a super strong but not brittle edge. New mower this year and cryo treated blades. I am going to try this year with only 2 sets of blades.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let me check the yellow pages for a Master Swordsmith in the nearest 1million-plus metro area....just as I thought--not a single one. Not even a plain or apprentice Swordsmith!

May as well quit mowing.

WTF, O?

Tomster

Threads
LOL, I go through roughly 4 to 5 sets of blades a year. I live in a very sandy area and I will get 3 or 4 mowings out of a set, with a couple of sharpenings in between. I have yet to find a blade that resists the sand so I know it's just something I have to deal with. A Jedi could sharpen my blades but they'd be dull in an hour or less.
Tom

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
All I know is that we run Tiger Cat Scags and cut incredible amounts of Pensacola Bahia Grass. After a while running even new blades they will stop cutting as good and thus require slowing down. it only takes 5 to 10 minutes to change a set of blades and we are running again. We can lose 10 minutes quick if we have to slow down or double cut anything. In Dog Days of summer when it is raining every day and the nights are in the 80's Bahia Grass with 2 weeks growth on it is a beast.

I change my blades and if the guy who cuts the grass next door doesn't change blades it won't be long before i am cutting the grass next door as well.

I see some of those guys that do not change blades till they are worn out and then throw them away. They are not competition to me because the quality of their work is not even in the same category.

I have most weeks literally all that my crew can do so I think I am going to keep sharpening them and changing them like we do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting.
Most quality mower blades are made from medium carbon boron steel which work hardens.
The last remaining steel foundry thinks I am God as I usually deliver them around 100 KG of dead blades a year which they use for the boron content.

I would be surprised if cryo treatment did not leave them too hard to withstand the sticks stones.
Motorcycle chains have been cryo treated for decades which is how they manage to handle the massive power of modern motorcycle racing engines without doubling their length in the first lap.
Some chains use boron steel ( different grade ) in the side plates and they did have some problems with them brittle failing back in the R & D days.

Things might be a lot different over there by the cost of heat treating them down here is about twice the cost of new blades so would come out close to a zero sum game.

penmaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cruzenmike,

It is my professional opinion that regularly switching blades is not only wasteful, but very expensive in the long run. Sharpening blades yourself may save money short term, but if in the wrong hands, a grinding stone can spell disaster for the quality of your cuts. If you are like me, then you probably treat every cut like it may be your last! Take your blades to a reputable swordsmith. I personally have the blade for my Kgro custom forged to my personal preferences. Stock parts are not an option for me. If you want your yard to look like all of your neighbor’s yards, then by all means use OEM parts. This is especially true for blades as they are a single point of failure for a perfect cut! A master swordsmith will turn your mower into a finely tuned grass blade slicing machine. Start by doing your homework and find someone that’s not just going to build you a blade, but an artist who will create the masterpiece that will give you the greatest cutting experience of your life. Yes, it is that important! Once you find the right person, only allow them to touch that blade. I drive over 6 hours to SOFA (my trusted blacksmith) in Ohio to have my blade inspected and treated prior to the first cut of every season. Remember, without the right blade, a mower is just a go-kart! Godspeed!

You're kidding, right?

cruzenmike

Threads
Cruzenmike,

It is my professional opinion that regularly switching blades is not only wasteful, but very expensive in the long run. Sharpening blades yourself may save money short term, but if in the wrong hands, a grinding stone can spell disaster for the quality of your cuts. If you are like me, then you probably treat every cut like it may be your last! Take your blades to a reputable swordsmith. I personally have the blade for my Kgro custom forged to my personal preferences. Stock parts are not an option for me. If you want your yard to look like all of your neighbor’s yards, then by all means use OEM parts. This is especially true for blades as they are a single point of failure for a perfect cut! A master swordsmith will turn your mower into a finely tuned grass blade slicing machine. Start by doing your homework and find someone that’s not just going to build you a blade, but an artist who will create the masterpiece that will give you the greatest cutting experience of your life. Yes, it is that important! Once you find the right person, only allow them to touch that blade. I drive over 6 hours to SOFA (my trusted blacksmith) in Ohio to have my blade inspected and treated prior to the first cut of every season. Remember, without the right blade, a mower is just a go-kart! Godspeed!

You're kidding, right?

I don't think he is kidding. But hey, I am not going to judge. I am quite particular about some things. For example, I once purchased a Sony wireless mouse directly from Japan to match my Vaio laptop because no comparable product was offered in the US. $80 later I had a mouse that said "VAIO" on it, but then again, it was just a mouse. Taking lawn mower blades to a blacksmith may give an excellent sharpening, but after a few cuts it may not matter? IDK

Mr. Mower

Threads
Not an the expert here on this subject on changing mower blades but as far as pulling the blades off to have them sharpened, I believe that you run the risk of the blades becoming "unbalanced".

Which leads to not having a proper level cut. Also could lead to other potential problem(s) on the mower too? Such as to the rotor/spindles, belt(s), etc.

Either by removing too much metal from the blades when sharpening or possibly the blades becoming warped, blades not mounted correctly, etc.

Therefore not getting and even cut as well as running the risk of possibly ruining the rotor/spindles and or bolt(s) with the constant force that is applied on them (especially if not torqued down properly?).

Removing the blades and having them sharpened....well for some that may work and to each their own.

Still though, for me, I'll just stick to changing all three blades on my mower, once every year regardless. I find that much easier and convenient.

Yes, some may find that as unnecessary, costly and a waste of $ but not for me.

At least I know that the blades on my mower will always be good throughout the year.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ummm...not really. Sorry, but I find little merit to your comments. Please don't take it personally.

First of all, I've found that new blades are usually pretty unbalanced and not particularly sharp. I sharpen and balance new blades before I put them on my machines. Having an unbalanced blade will not cause an uneven cut but can certainly cause problems with vibration and spindle wear...that's why I always balance my blades. If you sharpen your blades evenly you won't change the balance much. I don't know how you'd warp a blade sharpening it. If you do that you're doing something terribly wrong. It's pretty simple to change blades, put them on properly and tighten them. I don't know how it could be done wrong other than putting them on upside down or not tightening them enough. I've never used a torque wrench on mine in 15+ years of mowing commercially and have never had an issue with them loosening or coming off...having them tighten and having a hard time getting them off due to hitting something, definitely yes. And I disagree that if you change your blades once/year they'll always be good, since as I mentioned above, they typically come from the factory unbalanced and not particularly sharp. So instead you're more likely to always have dull unbalanced blades.

Mr. Mower

Threads
:laughing: Yea I hear you.....so don't take my reply "personal" either.

But I could give a rat's *** what you think (or anyone else for that matter) either. All I did was just post my views on the subject just like everyone else has.

So Mr. Expert you have a good day! :laughing: