Cub Cadet 1517 PTO problems!!!!!!!!!

goosemasterkl

Threads
I'm working on a Cub Cadet model 1517 for a friend of mines and the pto wants to kick off quite frequent. I've changed the pto out with another and it's doing the same thing. Seems like it wants to kick out more when you go to let off the forward speed foot pedal. I've gap the pto's at .015 on both pto's. I,ve checked my stator voltage and it's putting out around 40 volts. The regulator is putting out around 14.4 vdc to the battery. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice on what to do now? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What size deck is he running ?
If it has a bigger deck and mulches then that puts a lot more load on the PTO as do people who think they can cut 2'tall grass at full speed.
So you might need to go to a stronger clutch.

The 2000 series the landlord uses will cook the clutch in high summer when they are cutting the tussock grass.
We ended up fitting a bigger clutch ( from the 52" deck model) and that all but cured the clutch cut out problems.

Also triple check your wiring and the PTO switch.
A partially broken wire or corroded / burned switch drives up the current which overheats the clutch.
Make sure the engine is tight so there is a good ground between the engine the frame.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also don't overlook the fact that on some mowers bouncing around or shifting around on the seat can cause the pto to deactivate.

goosemasterkl

Threads
What size deck is he running ?
If it has a bigger deck and mulches then that puts a lot more load on the PTO as do people who think they can cut 2'tall grass at full speed.
So you might need to go to a stronger clutch.

The 2000 series the landlord uses will cook the clutch in high summer when they are cutting the tussock grass.
We ended up fitting a bigger clutch ( from the 52" deck model) and that all but cured the clutch cut out problems.

Also triple check your wiring and the PTO switch.
A partially broken wire or corroded / burned switch drives up the current which overheats the clutch.
Make sure the engine is tight so there is a good ground between the engine the frame.

I'm not doing any mowing with the mower and it's doing all this kicking off of the pto. It has a 42" deck on it with a 17hp Kohler engine.

goosemasterkl

Threads
The seat switch has been deactivated, unhooked, etc. The mower kicks the pto off just driving it around on blacktop and not even mowing grass. Any suggestions? Thanks

goosemasterkl

Threads
Also could any of the safety switches be causing the pto to want to disengage like this? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Number 1 suspect would be the PTO switch.
Get some 5mm hook up wire, crimp some terminals they fit into the clutch plug on one end.
Hook the + directly to the battery and cut the - so you can make & break the connection to switch the clutch.
Try that to isolate the clutch from the mowers electrics.

You can also hook up a test light to the PTO wires from the mower end then drive around while watching the light.
If it blinks then again a mower wiring problem.
From there mover the wires to the actual pto switch to isolate the switch from the rest of the mower wiring.
Go to cub and downlaod the wiring diagram before you start.
Print out a few copies so you have something to work from. marking off what you have tested