Lawnboy 10330

mikehouse

Threads
Hi all.I've recently was given a 1999 Lawnboy by a coworker.Was told nothing had been done as far as anything extensive other than a blade change.So it runs good.I personally changed the oil and cleaned the filters.It IS very light.Waaay lighter than my Craftsman.I'm wondering what is supposed to be so good about these funny colored,light weighted,weird looking mowers? I do realize it has lasted 19 yrs,but my Craftsman (2001)Is just as old and in the past 4 years we've cut some damn grass.Anybody?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please don't call them that, they're Lawnperson mowers now after the lawsuit claiming sexist bias...

I don't understand the cult following of these mowers myself. My parent's had one years ago. Light green 2-stroke. I didn't like the offset front wheels. I brought it to the dump without a second thought when my Mom died.

Russ2251

Threads
I'm wondering what is supposed to be so good about these funny colored,light weighted,weird looking mowers?
I don't understand the cult following of these mowers myself.
The original Lawn-Boys (OMC) were well known for their reliable 2 cycle engines which is why I got hooked on them.
Now, Lawn-Boys are running all manner of 4 cycle anchors on them...including Kohler, Briggs & Stratton, et al.
I'm sure Ole Evinrude is spinning in his grave after witnessing what has become of his empire.

Lawnboy77

Threads
Not really a cult following, but more like folks who really appreciate a company like OMC taking engineering to the next level and manufacturing a machine that was, and still is the best in it's field. Once you mow with one, an original OMC machine, you will understand the following. I mowed lawns for spending money all through the 70s and man what a game changer it was for me in 1977 when I got my first Lawnboy Bricktop (Model 7024). Most of my clients were "Penny pinchers", so they would only request the lawn be cut when it was super high to minimize the frequency and save a few dollars over the long haul. Man that old 2 stroke would just walk right through the cool season Turf type Fescues and Bluegrass. The old Briggs I had before that would take me twice as long to get the same quality of cut.

mikehouse

Threads
Well as I've been reading these posts,I went on Youtube,and there's a lady on there,"catlover",who got hold of a shitload of all kinds of Lawnboys.Seems an older gentleman got 'em,fixed 'em up,and had sheds FULL of 'em.Because of health reasons,he was getting rid of as many as he could.Plus parts,engines,decks,etc.I have a rear-wheel S-P 10330 (1999) in damn good shape.Maybe tmrw (4/2/18) I'll put it to work and see how it does.Just seems so small tho.Like a toy,but we'll see,and I'll let you guys know what I think.Thanks for the feedback.Keep it coming.

Lawnboy77

Threads
Well as I've been reading these posts,I went on Youtube,and there's a lady on there,"catlover",who got hold of a shitload of all kinds of Lawnboys.Seems an older gentleman got 'em,fixed 'em up,and had sheds FULL of 'em.Because of health reasons,he was getting rid of as many as he could.Plus parts,engines,decks,etc.I have a rear-wheel S-P 10330 (1999) in damn good shape.Maybe tmrw (4/2/18) I'll put it to work and see how it does.Just seems so small tho.Like a toy,but we'll see,and I'll let you guys know what I think.Thanks for the feedback.Keep it coming.

I think the 10330 has a Tecumseh 4 stroke. Toro bought Lawnboy from OMC in 1989 and while they still produced many great 2 strokes after that, they started transitioning to 4 strokes in the mid 90s and now a 4 stroke is all they sell. Nothing against 4 strokes, there are plenty of good ones out there, but nothing like the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke mounted on a magnesium deck. Below is a link to a video of my 1977 Model 5024, the same model I used 40 years ago, except it is a 19 inch model and the 7024 was 21 inch. It's a fixed speed 3200 machine, no frills, just a pusher magnesium deck. You really have to use one of these to get the full effect, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0zBgh11kY&t=28s

Russ2251

Threads
All of the L-B's I've seen in her videos (Catlover) are 2 cycle.
She seems to know her way around them.

mikehouse

Threads
Hey Russ,you noticed that too.I believe she works on them as well.Blew me away when I saw her hauling all those machines away.Not to mention the guy with 6,count 'em,6 storage units FULL of Lawnboys.Lawnboy77,I believe you're pushing a Bricktop am I right?You guys got me all into this stuff now.20180330_095546.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not really a cult following, but more like folks who really appreciate a company like OMC taking engineering to the next level and manufacturing a machine that was, and still is the best in it's field. Once you mow with one, an original OMC machine, you will understand the following. I mowed lawns for spending money all through the 70s and man what a game changer it was for me in 1977 when I got my first Lawnboy Bricktop (Model 7024). Most of my clients were "Penny pinchers", so they would only request the lawn be cut when it was super high to minimize the frequency and save a few dollars over the long haul. Man that old 2 stroke would just walk right through the cool season Turf type Fescues and Bluegrass. The old Briggs I had before that would take me twice as long to get the same quality of cut.

Actually they run a poor second to the Australian Victa mowers but you would not have seen Victas in the USA because the land of FREE COMPETITION and MARKET FORCES banned them to protect he local industry and in particular Lawn Boy so ol' man Evinrude must have had some friends in high places, most likely with shares in Lawnboy.

Now that we have the history corrected, there is nothing wrong with them they were good quality, well made well engineered mowers that if properly maintained will outlive most f the people who bought them.
My 70 y/o sister still has dads old 1968 Victa 18 and uses it to mow the common areas of the block of units between the scheduled mows by the lawn care agency.
I have a couple of 50 year old Victas I loan out when I get overwhelmed ( if it ever rains again in spring ).
I understand the facination in collecting the things of ones youth, I collect old motorcycles.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the 10330 has a Tecumseh 4 stroke. Toro bought Lawnboy from OMC in 1989 and while they still produced many great 2 strokes after that, they started transitioning to 4 strokes in the mid 90s and now a 4 stroke is all they sell. Nothing against 4 strokes, there are plenty of good ones out there, but nothing like the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke mounted on a magnesium deck. Below is a link to a video of my 1977 Model 5024, the same model I used 40 years ago, except it is a 19 inch model and the 7024 was 21 inch. It's a fixed speed 3200 machine, no frills, just a pusher magnesium deck. You really have to use one of these to get the full effect, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0zBgh11kY&t=28s

Yes 2 strokes are the way for lawn mowers, simple efficient and much more powerful than the 4 strokes.
And if they allowed them to spin a bit faster 4000-5000 rpm they would be even better.

Enviromentally you are miles ahead with a 2 stroke because of the reduced embeded pollution during manufacture of a 2 stroke and in particular the full iron engines which will run for hundreds of years with very mimimal mainteanance.
But all the dullards can see is the smoke that they used to blow before the production of modern ashless 2 stroke oil.