Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Troubleshooting tips for IS700Z - cranking but not starting

HammerTime

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all -

Well, we now have a running mower. Ended up all it needed was a shot of starting fluid - as Darryl suggested. I did pick up a spark tester (never pass up an opportunity to buy a tool) and it clearly showed it to be firing. I hit with a small spray of starting fluid and it actually sounded like it was trying to hit. Gave it another larger dose and it started right up. I'm guessing that last season's stabil treated fuel just wasn't potent enough. I've filled it with fresh gas and it's running like a champ now. It was pretty rough until the stuff in the lines got through it.

Guess I need to do a better job of closing it out for winter. While I'm thinking of it, it might not be a bad idea to put a shutoff valve in the fuel line to run it dry more easily. Is that recommended for "winterizing"?

Thanks again for the suggestions. I still would have bet money that it was not firing due to an open switch. And Boobala - thanks for pointing out the download site. Going to pull the ones down for this thing for next time.

Enjoy the weekend - and Happy Easter!!

Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to hear it was just the fuel quality and you have it running.
Yes add a fuel tap.
Put it before the fuel filter so you make changing the filter easier to do.
I buy in line fuel taps in bags of 100 and every mower that comes in goes out with one installed but not billed for.
Any time you are not going to mow for more than a couple of weeks it is a good idea to run the mower out.
Just remember to turn the ignition off after the engine stops or the fuel solenoid will run the battery so flat it can not be recharged.