John Deere with Briggs & Stratt not running correctly

cfhsncb

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere with Briggs & Stratt not running correctly
Look fella I posted that sarcasm BECAUSE the tech offered YOU advice that was IMPORTANT to US .. as well as you,.. we are NOT there seeing, touching, smelling or hearing what's going on, maybe you don't understand.. it's BULLSCHITT to O/H a carb and then have a bunch of schitt go into it, because the fuel system was NOT PROPERLY cleaned. these carbs are sensitive to dirt, ( foreign matter) and you CAN'T get the carb to function correctly if the rest of the system is not really clean, and possibly introducing dirt into a clean carb, He told you because it's IMPORTANT ! you save re-diagnosing the same problem over again ! ALSO , it would help if you posted your machines info, JD LA105 is the SERIES we need the model and engine numbers see example ...

View attachment 36546

You could have just informed me of that instead of being a sarcastic *******.

cfhsncb

Forum Newbie
Threads
At the bottom of the white tube is a small chunk of brass.
That is the main jet, push it out slowly noting which way is up
The rebuild kits usually come with a new one cause you take the white plastic housing off tip or blow on it and the main jet ends up in that parallel universe with all of the lost keys and missing left socks.
It is held in place by that tiny O ring
It has a tiny hole in it.
Without it there the engine will start & idle fine but when the throttle opens wide the engine will flood, cough splutter & do what we call 8 stroking.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my rebuild kit didn't include the jet (thanks JD) I have the old jet still, and while it is clear, it looks a little rough. Your descriptions sounds exactly like the issue I'm having though. Here are some additional photos: https://imgur.com/a/y5geH

cfhsncb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I saw the video and I think the idle cuircut is clogged also.... I do a lot of those carbs and a 3rd of them need the welch plug taken out prior to a carb dip........

Bert is correct on that brass jet..... Clean the hole well.... Also there are smaller holes in the long tube that goes in the white tube...

A bunch of them and they need cleaning also with a fine wire..........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Is this the welch plug you're referring to? https://imgur.com/a/Le2Kk The kit did include a new one, but I didn't remove it since it seems to be sealed in. How would I got about removing it?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could have just informed me of that instead of being a sarcastic *******.

WELL, I did get my point across, AND ..... you still LUUUUUVVVV me enough to respond, ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Now let's see if we can get you up N runnin !! .. :thumbsup:

Threads
Yep that's the welch plug and Boo sent you a very detailed link.... Now that body of Nikki carbs are the same but some have a different style inside... Some have that spring and some don't....

Just look at yours well when it comes apart.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this the welch plug you're referring to? https://imgur.com/a/Le2Kk The kit did include a new one, but I didn't remove it since it seems to be sealed in. How would I got about removing it?

That is the main jet
A welch plug is a thin dish '
You remove it by driving a small pick through it and levering it out.

Have you been to the Outdoor Equipment link you were given and gone through the step by step rebuild instruction photos ?

The main jet needs to be cleaned with a soft wire brush and the hole cleaned out , a new O ring fitted and then pushed back into the holder with the blunt end of a drill.
Put a dab of vasoline on the new O -Ring so it slides down easily

Threads
cfhsncb,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like Bert said the Welch plug comes with a sharp punch..... To put it back in, just put it in place and take a 3/16 punch and hammer.......

Lightly tap it in the center until it is indented almost level with the edges......... Pressure holds it in......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
cfhsncb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes the part circled in red is the welch plug......... The main jet is the one with the o ring... Just make sure those tiny holes in that brass tube are cleaned out well........ Some might be stopped up and it may look like there are none there...

That carb is corroded / Gummed up / varnished real bad... That's why I suggested the welch plug.............. Seen too many with that issue... especially on generators that haven't ran in a long time.....