Dana 6800-1 Oil Seals

tc3857

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Dana 6800-1 transaxle that is leaking from the outside axle oil seals. The oil seal part number is either Dana Part No. 7088 or EHP Part No. 407129 or AYP/Electrolux Part No. 583300901, but the oil seals are no longer being sold that I can find. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for these seals?

Thanks
TC

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got to see an actual picture of the oil seal. It is nothing special. Take one to an auto parts store and they can measure it and see if anything will match.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got to see an actual picture of the oil seal. It is nothing special. Take one to an auto parts store and they can measure it and see if anything will match.

You are joking arn't you ? :laughing:
An auto parts employee who actually knows what an oil seal is, how to measure one and how to find a part without a Make Model & Vin Number to feed the computer with ?:confused3:
Yeah, right !!!!

Go to an engineering supply company.
You will pay a little more but you will get a quality seal that will fit and most of them will have them in stock.:cloud9:

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF bad comes to worse, use a calipers ( digital is nice) and measure the outer diameter of the seal and the outer diameter of the shaft, then measure the width of the seal, then head to( McMaster -Carr ) online, .. search, oil seal, and try to match it up from there...

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Dana 6800-1 (made in Taiwan) also has a chain inside, many have went down grades & the slack gets loaded up & pops a hole thru that case. Dana sold their name to this transaxle maker. But later wanted to take em to court over the crappy unit they made.

My last tractor had that tranny & same issue at both axles. sears said they don't have repair parts, they just replace them. The parts were obsolete just as my warranty expired.

Try this: if you can wiggle the axle end, NO SEAL is gonna stop the leaking. They ride on the aluminum housing & that wears out quickly.

There is a fill plug under the belt pulley, I used to add STP just till I could get all the Peerless parts I needed.

I finally switched it over to a Peerless tranny, which was pretty simple swap & way better unit, & sears really shaved the prices of the parts I needed after I filed a complaint with BBB against sears.

If you google up this model, you may likely still find a long line of owners that are pizzed about this unit. Save the headache & switch to a Peerless. Mine operated flawlessly.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are joking arn't you ? :laughing:
An auto parts employee who actually knows what an oil seal is, how to measure one and how to find a part without a Make Model & Vin Number to feed the computer with ?:confused3:
Yeah, right !!!!

Go to an engineering supply company.
You will pay a little more but you will get a quality seal that will fit and most of them will have them in stock.:cloud9:

After I posted that I remembered I am lucky to have one guy at the parts store that knows how to use the books that are all over the store for finding parts that way. If I do not see him when I open the door I normally turn around and leave. It is just so stupid that they do not know how to use the books that are provided for them. He found me an oil filter the other day for my Z Master. It uses a remote oil filter that is not for a lawn mower but a car.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
After I posted that I remembered I am lucky to have one guy at the parts store that knows how to use the books that are all over the store for finding parts that way. If I do not see him when I open the door I normally turn around and leave. It is just so stupid that they do not know how to use the books that are provided for them. He found me an oil filter the other day for my Z Master. It uses a remote oil filter that is not for a lawn mower but a car.

I was looking at the seal inter-change charts from Timken & SKF, ....... they are confusing, waaaay back, all you had to do, was supply the number from the seal and finding the replacement wasn't a problem, it's another story these days !

tc3857

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all for the replies! I'll open up the case to get the seal and/or measurements and try to find an interchangeable seal locally.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about the axle play, hadn't even thought about that. If it comes down to it, what Peerless tranny did you switch to?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks all for the replies! I'll open up the case to get the seal and/or measurements and try to find an interchangeable seal locally.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about the axle play, hadn't even thought about that. If it comes down to it, what Peerless tranny did you switch to?

Yes if you have excessive axle play, the best seals in the world will not stop the leaks. Mine had excessive play, even the STP straight would leak out.

That was many years ago, but IIRC I converted it to a Peerless 206-C, most all Dana parts work, but you would need a brake bracket for a Peerless. And I believe the shift linkage would work, but I got the Peerless one anyhow. This Peerless has no chain inside, all steel gears. And much better quality.

The Taiwan Dana was made outta pretty soft aluminum to wear out so fast.