Kohler Series II 19HP PTO

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And before you fit it make sure the stop is in place.
The clutch will have a slot or hole in it which goes over a HEAVY bracket of some sort so that it stays still while the pulley rotates.

Chuck has obviously dug out the parts breakdown so if we ask him nicely he will hopefully post the stop pat number as well.

cashman

Threads
I have an '82 model Ariens GT-17 (931XXX series) with a series 1 KT-17 Kohler. The PTO side of the engine faces forward with an electric clutch with two belts that drive a jackshaft with splined shafts on each end used for driving the mowing deck from the rear facing spline and a snowblower or a broom from the front facing spline. The flywheel side of the engine faces toward the rear of the tractor and has a flywheel mounted shaft that is connected to a drive shaft that goes to the rear of the tractor and drives the hydro pump and an electric clutch that operates a splined rear PTO shaft for a rotary tiller. The tractor is in great shape with only about 600 hrs on it but the mowing deck is worn out and have no need for a snowblower in Alabama. Have looked for several years to find a new or used mowing deck but had no luck.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
And before you fit it make sure the stop is in place.
The clutch will have a slot or hole in it which goes over a HEAVY bracket of some sort so that it stays still while the pulley rotates.

Chuck has obviously dug out the parts breakdown so if we ask him nicely he will hopefully post the stop pat number as well.

PTO looks like it connects to a piece of plate steel that sits in between the engine and PTO. I have been looking for the part it attaches too since I posted the other info. Picture of PTO break down.
PTO diagram.gif

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have an '82 model Ariens GT-17 (931XXX series) with a series 1 KT-17 Kohler. The PTO side of the engine faces forward with an electric clutch with two belts that drive a jackshaft with splined shafts on each end used for driving the mowing deck from the rear facing spline and a snowblower or a broom from the front facing spline. The flywheel side of the engine faces toward the rear of the tractor and has a flywheel mounted shaft that is connected to a drive shaft that goes to the rear of the tractor and drives the hydro pump and an electric clutch that operates a splined rear PTO shaft for a rotary tiller. The tractor is in great shape with only about 600 hrs on it but the mowing deck is worn out and have no need for a snowblower in Alabama. Have looked for several years to find a new or used mowing deck but had no luck.

As it sounds like Simon is missing a lot of the PTO system could you post some photos please.
It looks like the Bolens Durotrac, latter troy Buit GTX series and the Ariens GT-17 are all same design and most likely all built at the same factory.
If Simons Ariens is missing all of the PTO arangement then he has a lot of work to do as nearly all of those bits are NLA.
I have a customer with the Troy Built version but alll he buys is parts so I have never had a really close look but it does look identical to the Bolens GX-18 that I do service.

cashman

Threads
Yes, Ariens has discontinued production of parts for the GT series. The GT design actually started out as a New Holland in the late 1960's which Ariens bought the Garden Tractor line from New Holland in the 1970's. The front jackshaft which drives the mower deck is mounted under the engine and has two belts with an idler arm/pulley arrangement mounted 90 degrees below the engine crankshaft with electric clutch on the engine crankshaft. The jackshaft is mounted in a tube with splines on each end and a two groove pulley mounted forward of the front axel. You had to remove the front axel to replace the bearings in the front jackshaft. Later on, they had some Gravely models that were based on the GT series. In the early models you could get a manual trans made by Vickers or a hydo made by Sundstrand. Both with a Dana rear axel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep sounds exactly the same.
Contrary to what a lot of people think most mowers are either built in single type factories or assembled from the same components from the same supplier.
When I started digging around for obsolete parts it became obvious particularly when I started to learn how to decode model & serial numbers.
Murray had paint codes for 42 different brands, Noma had finish codes for 17 different brands and both of these lists included a lot of what Joe public would see as competitors machines.

From what I have seen of this type of mower what you said sounds about right, they do look like variations of a real sub compact tractor.
The Bolens I service has an Eatons tranny and diff that would be at home in a 40Hp farm tractor.