Which one to choose?

ukrbyk

Threads
From mod permission, I'd like to create a separate post.

As a follow up on this:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/46713-Swisher-tow-behind-mower

As progress, I have now Honda Foreman that can tow decent sized mower. Also, it goes through mud in my wetland not even noticing it.

I already had to mow few weeks ago and my 60'' ZTR chokes on grass even at the highest deck setting. Plus, it won't even go over mud and puddles, though I have ATV tires on it.

Here's my question.
I have it narrowed down to two tow behind mowers. Dirty Hand Tools one, which is rough cut/brush mower. 46 inch. Or, a Swisher. With Swisher, I have options of large decks, up to 60''. But, large decks are fine finish mowing. Their "rough cut" decks are same, 46 ''.

My dilemma is of this nature. I won't be mowing "brush" or shrubs, though I could try say Dirty Hand on my blackberries. It's basically a very bumpy lawn with hills and valleys. Thing is, if I do not cut it all on time, like in standing water areas, grass will get 3-4 ft tall. But, it's still grass.

I can't decide if I should go with Dirty Hand rough cut mower or, with a Swisher but finish cut/wide deck. Lawn happens to be front of the property, so bushwhacked grass does not add any appeal. Then again, everyone around simply mows grass and lets it compost, I was the only one to actually mulch it over.
I am concerned that Dirty Hand will leave crap for swath quality but, Swisher will choke on TALL grass. Also, I am not sure how Swisher wide deck four wheels will do on mud and puddles.

That's why I'm seeking experienced opinions from you. I watched Dirty Hand videos, can't tell quality.

Thank you.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rent a brush mower for the first mowing, the one that 'chokes' a finish mower.

Then, buy a finish mower and don't let the grass get tall.

ukrbyk

Threads
Never knew I could rent a brush mower. Entire point of this adventure is to avoid long term expense. I figured, at ongoing rate, I'll have my pull behind mower cost recouped in 2 yrs of DIY that area.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can't rent one, hire somebody to do the initial mowing.

ukrbyk

Threads
Neighbor. he's got PTO tractor mower. We are in good standing, he'll let me use his.

Btw, I'll pass on Dirty Hand one. Found review where owner clearly warns that it hangs on mounds and scalps lawn. Likely, because it's two wheel deck. I can see how a four wheeled one has advantage over two wheeled one. Swisher it looks like. Of course, got to rent a forklift to unload it. Or trailer to have it unloaded onto and then pull it off at home.