Getting grass to grow......

Soonerbillz

Threads
Getting grass to grow...... on thin rocky soil ... on a grade!

What is the trick to getting grass to grow quickly and permanently on this kind of soil? What kind of seed and fertilizer works best in this enviroment?
Thanks,
Scott

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

What is the trick to getting grass to grow quickly and permanently on this kind of soil? What kind of seed and fertilizer works best in this enviroment?
Thanks,
Scott

ASTRO-TURF !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

RjMaan

Threads
In these days normally the grass is planted by their nurseries. It is an easy and quick way to for grass plantation.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can get grass seeds covered with fertalizer, water crystals and glue.
Construction companies use it all the time to get grass started on cuttings along roads.

If we have it down here they you must be able to get it in the USA.
No idea what it is called but i have seen it being sprayed over bare rocks & clay as soon as the excavations have finished and 4 weeks latter, thick lush grass.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks,
Scott
Not sure where you are and if you're growing warm cool season or warm season grasses (which I know very little about). Being in cool season grass territory I use Lesco Teammates Plus Turf-Type Tall Fescue for areas with poor soil and areas prone to burn out, planted in the fall. I use shredded straw as a top dressing to maintain moisture and to give some erosion control, but on steep slopes it will wash away. Hay works better in those cases. If there is a long downhill run that tends to gully out I place some whole hay bales to slow down the runoff and move them every few days to keep them from smothering the new grass. Hydroseeding, which is what I think Bert was referring to is a good option. They also make mats and mesh to keep things from washing out. As far as fertilizer, I just use a good starter fertilizer. But you may be asking too much to expect a healthy stand of turf on thin rocky soil....

D

(deleted)

Growing grass may sound easy but not in rocky soil. The presence of rocks in lawns can literally crush anyone’s grass-growing desire. Rocky soil dries out quickly, and so the grass must be drought-tolerant. Soil that is rocky also loses nutrients quickly, making a low-maintenance grass a good choice. Amending the soil with compost to slow drainage and hold nutrients will allow the soil to support a wider range of turfgrass.