Repairs Replacing PTO

cjp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, my name is Chris Perry and I have removed the PTO from my EXMARK lazer z( model # LHP19KA465). The removal of this was very easy , but the problem Im experiencing is putting on the new one. Im not aware of how to prevent the motor from turning as i bolt in the new PTO. Im aware that on other models you can grip the shaft and prevent it from moving that way, but mine isnt built like that. The PTO sits directly under the engine, so theres no shaft to hold. The motor on this machine is a 19hp kawasaki. Any ways to prevent this from spinning while bolting on PTO ? THANKS!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the spark plugs. Feed some woven ( not twisted ) rope into the cylinder that is on the firing stroke and then rotate the engine slowly till the rope is being compressed by the piston & engine is locked.
Don't forget to take it out before you try to start it.
make sure it is on the compression stroke & not exhaust stroke to avoid bending the exhaust valve.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have used the woven rope trick and it does work, just be careful that you use something that will not leave threads behind in the engine. You will have to back it off once you have tightened it down to free the rope before you try to remove it.

I have had better luck using an impact with the torque setting turned down. I believe the torque required for that bolt is about 150 ft lbs, so if you have an impact with adjustable torques, you can just select the power to what you need. For example, I have an impact that makes 300 ft lbs on the highest setting (4) so I just set it to setting 2 and I let er' rip. Haven't had any issues with it yet!