Scag Liberty Z 48" vs 52" - torn

Skyebox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm torn between the 48" w/Kawi 21hp and the 52" w/Kawi 21hp - same price point. I'm wondering if the 21hp engine is enough for the 52"? The 23hp is $200 higher. I read that an owner running a Liberty 48" with 19hp Kawi had some power issues and wished he had gotten the larger engine.

I'm a home owner with only a half acre to mow and a hill - thick grass that needs cut twice a week in the rainy seasons. My 20" push mower is just not cuttin' it.

The size 48" with 21hp would be fine for my yard except for the fact that the rear wheel base is 46.5" wide, so it won't be able to get under trees and hedges as well, since the deck is only about an inch wider than the wheel on each side.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice that could help me decide? Thanks

P7K3

Threads
I have the Liberty with the 52" deck and 21HP Kawasaki, it has plenty of power, the dealer actually anted more money for the 48" as he would have to order it. So for me it was a no brainer.

Good luck withyour decision, either way your getting a great machine.

I'm torn between the 48" w/Kawi 21hp and the 52" w/Kawi 21hp - same price point. I'm wondering if the 21hp engine is enough for the 52"? The 23hp is $200 higher. I read that an owner running a Liberty 48" with 19hp Kawi had some power issues and wished he had gotten the larger engine.

I'm a home owner with only a half acre to mow and a hill - thick grass that needs cut twice a week in the rainy seasons. My 20" push mower is just not cuttin' it.

The size 48" with 21hp would be fine for my yard except for the fact that the rear wheel base is 46.5" wide, so it won't be able to get under trees and hedges as well, since the deck is only about an inch wider than the wheel on each side.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice that could help me decide? Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always recommend getting the biggest engine available. The $200 difference for the 23hp is negligible. Have you ever heard anyone complain that their mower had too much power? Sure the 21hp on the 52 might be sufficient, but why risk it not? With that said, the 48 inch machine should be fine too. You need to trim anyway and the difference of having a little less deck overhang on the trim side isn't likely to make a difference since the trimmer has a swath of around 18 inches.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure the difference in the engines but we run Tiger Cats commercially with 52" decks with 22 HP Kawasaki engines and have absolutely NO problem with them and we cut Pensacola Bahia Grass all summer on two week intervals. If the 22hps will do that surely a 21 will do all you want to do if you cut as often as you mentioned.

I have seen many people in our area run Kawasaki engines with great results. On the other hand i know of several that have tried the Kohler engines that did not have the same results.

Skyebox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always recommend getting the biggest engine available. The $200 difference for the 23hp is negligible. Have you ever heard anyone complain that their mower had too much power? Sure the 21hp on the 52 might be sufficient, but why risk it not? With that said, the 48 inch machine should be fine too. You need to trim anyway and the difference of having a little less deck overhang on the trim side isn't likely to make a difference since the trimmer has a swath of around 18 inches.

I'm going with the 52" with 23hp Kawi engine. I'm financing with 0% APR, so the extra $2-300 for the engine upgrade is negligible - as you said. May add a bagger someday, but those 2 bagger systems are pricey! Like 1/3 the cost of the entire mower.

Luffydog

Threads
Prob won't like the nagger after u buy it anyways I would save my $$$$$$

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going with the 52" with 23hp Kawi engine. I'm financing with 0% APR, so the extra $2-300 for the engine upgrade is negligible - as you said. May add a bagger someday, but those 2 bagger systems are pricey! Like 1/3 the cost of the entire mower.
Good choice I think. Keep in mind that with a machine like that on a lawn of that size it's no big deal to do a quick double cut if you have excess clippings. I just raise the deck up 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the second cut, sometimes only running a few rows where there are windrows of clippings. Also running Gator G5 or G6 mulching blades can help. That's what I run on my machines most of the time now. Different decks though so results may vary.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow !!! I just looked on the Scag website, & for this year you can get the 21.5hp FR651V with the 48" or the 18hp.

And it also seems they dropped the Kohler engines altogether. Only Kawasaki* :thumbsup:

butwhenido

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the 52" inch a week ago and only have around 5 hours on it.
I have about a little over an acre and a half that use to be a hay field and it is an awesome machine so far.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought the 52" inch a week ago and only have around 5 hours on it.
I have about a little over an acre and a half that use to be a hay field and it is an awesome machine so far.

Cool, don't forget to do your early oil change. I did mine just under 10 hours & changed the filter as well.

PS: my Toro has the same 21.5 hp Kawasaki. I love it.