Briggs engine won't fire after new piston rings on Craftsman mower---15.5HP

theticket

Threads
  • / Briggs engine won't fire after new piston rings on Craftsman mower---15.5HP
OK, so now it is not running very smooth and sometimes keeps running after I turn off the key and even backfired once. The only thing I did, as far as adjustments, is to adjust the valves to what I thought they should be. Could that be the problem?? I put everything back just like it was originally and only readjusted the valves(which probably didn't even need it. I used ..003/.005 & ex. .005/.007. Any suggestions before I start readjusting again? Seems to run hotter now than before also.
Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, so now it is not running very smooth and sometimes keeps running after I turn off the key and even backfired once. The only thing I did, as far as adjustments, is to adjust the valves to what I thought they should be. Could that be the problem?? I put everything back just like it was originally and only readjusted the valves(which probably didn't even need it. I used ..003/.005 & ex. .005/.007. Any suggestions before I start readjusting again? Seems to run hotter now than before also.
Thanks

have you got a solenoid on the carb, if so check it out "sometimes keeps running after I turn off the key and even backfired once" on and stays on, off when you turn the key off.....

"Seems to run hotter now than before also" did you replace the rings with oversize ones..?, also check the carb, it maybe running lean a bit.

theticket

Threads
The solenoid on the carburetor seems to be working properly although I don't know how to "check it out". I did not use oversized rings and the engine does not put out black smoke, which I assume it would do if it were running lean. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

theticket

Threads
I think I'm wrong about the black smoke. My engine is not smoking at all, but it seems to be hard to start after I turn it off and it sits for a little while

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Un plug and take off the solenoid give it 12v on any of the two poles, does the pin pull in or out by doing so...? engine needs to be a little on the rich side so a little black smoke when starting and pulling is normal.

"but it seems to be hard to start after I turn it off and it sits for a little while"......RECHECK THE FUEL SOLENOID they're do go bad.

theticket

Threads
Solenoid seems to be working properly. I'm going to try to readjust the valves. That is the only thing I messed with after putting it all back together again.
thanks for the suggestion.