2017 Hustler Raptor SD or 2018?

jchas41

Threads
Hey guys, was looking for some advice. I have about an 1 - 1.5 acres of mostly flat land in Upstate NY. I have been searching for a nice zero turn that will last me a good, long while. Liked the Scag Liberty Z but the dealer is 45 minutes away which I'm concerned with in the event of service - price was 4k flat for the 48" 18hp Kawasaki model. Continued looking and found a local dealer, 15 min drive, with the Raptor SD's which look great. He has offered the 2017 edition with the 25hp Kohler engine for $3599 (has a rebate) or I can wait a month and get the 2018 edition with the Kawasaki motor for $3899. Any recommendations? I have emailed him looking for any further changes beyond the engines between the models, not sure if there will be any. Thanks!!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not intimately familiar with the Raptors but I thought I read that they redesigned the deck opening and removed the lower brace that some complain restricts it and contributes to clumping. Or was that the previous year? Not sure it even applies to the SD. Personally I'd rather have a Kawasaki. I've had good luck with all 3 of mine. Just something about how they run, respond and even sound. Big plus to having a nearby dealer in my opinion too. I switched dealers/brands for that reason. Convenient parts and service is important for a machine you'll be depending on.

jchas41

Threads
Not intimately familiar with the Raptors but I thought I read that they redesigned the deck opening and removed the lower brace that some complain restricts it and contributes to clumping. Or was that the previous year? Not sure it even applies to the SD. Personally I'd rather have a Kawasaki. I've had good luck with all 3 of mine. Just something about how they run, respond and even sound. Big plus to having a nearby dealer in my opinion too. I switched dealers/brands for that reason. Convenient parts and service is important for a machine you'll be depending on.

Yeah, most folks seem to recommend the Kawasaki. Just am struggling with decision because its another $300 and I'm only using this to mow my lawn once a week. With that said, if there are other useful changes with the newer model than that may sway things. I spoke to the dealer today, he admitted he wasn't totally sure as he doesn't have any yet but believes they are basically the same minus the Kawasaki engine. For what its worth, he also prefers the Kawasaki's.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys, was looking for some advice. I have about an 1 - 1.5 acres of mostly flat land in Upstate NY. I have been searching for a nice zero turn that will last me a good, long while. Liked the Scag Liberty Z but the dealer is 45 minutes away which I'm concerned with in the event of service - price was 4k flat for the 48" 18hp Kawasaki model. Continued looking and found a local dealer, 15 min drive, with the Raptor SD's which look great. He has offered the 2017 edition with the 25hp Kohler engine for $3599 (has a rebate) or I can wait a month and get the 2018 edition with the Kawasaki motor for $3899. Any recommendations? I have emailed him looking for any further changes beyond the engines between the models, not sure if there will be any. Thanks!!

This is only about price as I would not purchase a Raptor at all. 2017 model for $3599 is way too high when you can get the newer mower with a Kawasaki engine for only $300 more. There is no discount on the 2017 as it is cheaper just because of the Kohler. Once again I would not even buy the Raptor but money wise they are taking advantage of an unknowing customers at that price for the 2017.

Code54

Threads
I personally prefer the Kawasaki motors - good running and never had any problems out of them.
Good luck

jchas41

Threads
This is only about price as I would not purchase a Raptor at all. 2017 model for $3599 is way too high when you can get the newer mower with a Kawasaki engine for only $300 more. There is no discount on the 2017 as it is cheaper just because of the Kohler. Once again I would not even buy the Raptor but money wise they are taking advantage of an unknowing customers at that price for the 2017.

Really?? The $3800 seems pretty consistent among dealers from what I’ve seen. What am
I missing? Is there different models I should be looking at for this price range?

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any mower with a Kawasaki engine normally cost $300 or more than the same mower with Kohler. If this is not true in the Raptor line then they are putting really cheap Kawasaki engines in them. If there is not a difference in price between the same model with a Kawasaki in it I would avoid the Kawasaki engine. This is all about the money. I am one that buys the best value when I decided what I want to purchase. Kawasaki is supposed to be a better engine and it cost more for that engineering. If they are able to get Kawasaki for the same price as a Kohler then they are moving way down on the quality scale.

jchas41

Threads
Any mower with a Kawasaki engine normally cost $300 or more than the same mower with Kohler. If this is not true in the Raptor line then they are putting really cheap Kawasaki engines in them. If there is not a difference in price between the same model with a Kawasaki in it I would avoid the Kawasaki engine. This is all about the money. I am one that buys the best value when I decided what I want to purchase. Kawasaki is supposed to be a better engine and it cost more for that engineering. If they are able to get Kawasaki for the same price as a Kohler then they are moving way down on the quality scale.

Do you have any recommendations in the 4k price range that I should consider?

jchas41

Threads
I ended up buying the 2018 Raptor SD with the Kawasaki engine for $3699 + tax. Seems like a great machine, can't wait to use it if the spring ever arrives in the Northeast.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations! It would be great if you could come back and tell us about your likes and dislikes after you get some seat time on it.