Student design project

harrypotter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I am a university student working on my major project aiming to design a less straining and more convenient cordless electric mower particularly in manoeuvring but as well as storing and emptying grass - with the aim of making cutting the lawn a more enjoyable task. If anyone could provide a response to any of the questions below that would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any thoughts on the brief?
where do you store your mower?
How do you get it out of storage? and transport it to lawn?
What are your thoughts on lawnmowers with swivel wheels? I have a concept which allow the same function but without the impracticalities these have
In terms of handle height adjustment and cutting height adjustment which mechanisms do you prefer?
Are there parts of your garden which are more difficult to cut than others
I have considered moving the battery central of two large back wheels to minimise pushing force - are there any problems that might occur with this?
what would you look for in a mower if buying one now? particularly elderly users?
Do cordless mower owners use the handle often provided to pick it up? Or is it too heavy?
what motions do you find most straining?
How do people empty the grass? Does anyone bag their grass? would it be useful if there was a feature to help you do so?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Perhaps we are all looking at thing's the wrong way, ... folks keep on trying to "build a better mousetrap " a better design of mower with the characteristics to please EVERYBODY, why not divert that energy, into a new concept ! why not develop a new grass ( turf) that has eye pleasing qualities, reaches a predetermined height, then only requires minor trimming, need's little, if any fertilization, and pest/rodent controls, stay's "green" ALL YEAR, or maybe we could even find a nice shade of "blue" sound's un-imaginable ?? ... Hell, we put a man on the moon, put a fancy roadster in deep space orbit, we clone animals, etc. etc., of course a lot of job's would be lost, but society is headed to Hell in a handbag anyway ...

teka-teki.jpg

Last edited:

panabiker

Threads
Cutting lawn is rarely an enjoyable task if you have to do it every week. If you want to make some improvement, look at the existing robotic (cordless) mowers and see what their shortcomings are and make them better and maybe cheaper.

Here are the existing examples,
http://groomandstyle.com/top-5-best-robot-lawn-mower-reviews/

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
lighter-weight yet durable decks

better 'lift'/vacuum

some way to improve cut within Federal restrictions on rpm/blade tip speed

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Developing longer-lived batteries is the key. The decline of battery capacity over time and the replacement cost of them are the biggest problems with battery-powered electric machines of all types. You can engineer the machine to perfection, but if the power source it relies on becomes ineffective over time to the point that it becomes unusable for the intended purpose/duration what good is it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
lighter-weight yet durable decks

better 'lift'/vacuum

some way to improve cut within Federal restrictions on rpm/blade tip speed

Lucky, go to Canada and buy an imported Victa with swing back blades on a carrier disc.
They can not be sold in the USA because the Vortex was too good compared to locally made machines so the government protected the local manufacturing by declairing swing back blades a safety hazard and banned the sale of the Vortex which was also too quite so needed to have a flashing light on it so you knew it was running, obviously your government believes Americans are the most stupid people on the planet as the same mower sold all over Europe & Africa.

A thin bar blade spinning under the deck can not create the air flow required to lift the grass when limited to 3600 rpm.
That is why we use 4 blades on a disc. Honda also make a swing back blade mowers which also give a perfect cut which they sell here in Europe & Canada but not in the USA.
We get a lot of US push mowers down here and the quality of cut on all of them is trash when compared to the swing back blades on a carrier disc.
The single bar blade also has troubles shifting the grass for bagging and mulching with a single bar blade is a joke.

As for "Mr Potter", who must be a millenial because the best he can do for research is type on his smart phone.
Get off your bum and talk to some local mowing companies.
Better still offer to work for some of them for free to do your research.
Nothing like first hand experience, that is REAL research.
If I caught one of my students doing this when I was teaching it would be an automatic fail.

Note what I said about governments using "Safety & Pollution" regulations to protect local industry.
There is a lot more to building a better mouse trap than actually catching more mice.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lucky, go to Canada and buy an imported Victa with swing back blades on a carrier disc.
They can not be sold in the USA because the Vortex was too good compared to locally made machines so the government protected the local manufacturing by declairing swing back blades a safety hazard and banned the sale of the Vortex which was also too quite so needed to have a flashing light on it so you knew it was running, obviously your government believes Americans are the most stupid people on the planet as the same mower sold all over Europe & Africa.

A thin bar blade spinning under the deck can not create the air flow required to lift the grass when limited to 3600 rpm.
That is why we use 4 blades on a disc. Honda also make a swing back blade mowers which also give a perfect cut which they sell here in Europe & Canada but not in the USA.
We get a lot of US push mowers down here and the quality of cut on all of them is trash when compared to the swing back blades on a carrier disc.
The single bar blade also has troubles shifting the grass for bagging and mulching with a single bar blade is a joke.

As for Darryl, who must be a millenial because the best he can do for research is type on his smart phone.
Get off your bum and talk to some local mowing companies.
Better still offer to work for some of them for free to do your research.
Nothing like first hand experience, that is REAL research.
If I caught one of my students doing this when I was teaching it would be an automatic fail.

Note what I said about governments using "Safety & Pollution" regulations to protect local industry.
There is a lot more to building a better mouse trap than actually catching more mice.

LOL, wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? FYI, I'm a 55 years old and not only do I talk to local mowing companies all of the time, I am one. I don't appreciate your condescending hostile tone. Besides, working for a business for free is illegal where I am :p I've been on this site for a while now and you're the first person who has been an *** to me. Congratulations!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LOL, wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? FYI, I'm a 55 years old and not only do I talk to local mowing companies all of the time, I am one. I don't appreciate your condescending hostile tone. Besides, working for a business for free is illegal where I am :p I've been on this site for a while now and you're the first person who has been an *** to me. Congratulations!

Sorry Daryl, put the wrong name in there.
Mistake should have been obvious as you are not a student.
I have corrected my reply.