Bobcat CRZ or Big Dog Alpha MP

Marc417

Threads
I’m having a hard time deciding between the Bobcat CRZ 52 and the Big Dog Alpha MP 54. The CRZ 52” with a 21.5 hp kawadaki and 2800 pumps is priced at $4700. The alpha MP has a 23hp Kawasaki 54” deck and 2800 pumps also and is priced the same as the CRZ. Both of the mowers are sold by the same dealer very close to where I live.
Bobcat has a 5 yr warranty and Big Dog has 7 years. The motors and pumps carry the same warranty which I think is 3 years.

I have found a 2016 Kubota Z122s with 74 hrs for $3000. 48” and 23hp Kohler. 2 year warranty left on that one. But I’m thinking I had rather buy new.

I’m cutting a touch over 1 acre for my personal yard. Thanks for any help, opinions, and testimonials from actual owners.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I'd lean toward the Bob-Cat. I'd like to point out that BigDog's "industry leading" warranty really isn't...it only covers parts after 3 years, NOT LABOR. Bob-Cat covers parts and labor. So you may seem to be getting a bit more for your money with the BigDog, but that would be a deal breaker for me personally.

Last edited:

Marc417

Threads
Yea that kinda rubs me the wrong way a little that only parts are covered after 3 years

cruzenmike

Threads
The Bobcat appears to be an excellent machine. The better warranty would be a plus. You mentioned the Kubota, but if you are turned off by the warranty on the big dog, shelling out $3k for a machine that has no warranty shouldn't sit easy with you either. I was recently given an exmark with only 500 hours and despite being a well made machine, I have found myself shelling out hundreds of dollars over the past few years fixing things like PTO clutch and deck spindles. For a big precise like this something new that you can maintain from day one and rely on the warranty to get you through a couple of years of no out of pocket repairs should be the way to go. I have read a lot of reviews on the Bobcat zero turns and they appear to be mostly positive. As for the Big Dog, I believe it is just a rebranded Hustler in which I find more dislikes of those especially on cut performance.

Marc417

Threads
The only reason I was considering the Kubota was for the nicer pumps and it’s looks to be in great shape but the 1 yr remaining warranty on the pumps and motor made me quickly change my mind. Plus it sold today. When I first started looking at the Bobcat and Big Dog I was leaning to the bobcat initially. Thanks for the comments and advice.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could be wrong but I think the Bob-Cat just has bushings for the front caster swivel whereas the BigDog is listed as having ball bearings. Not a big fan of bushings... they're always spitting the grease out and they wear which causes more play and makes them go dry quicker. I looked at the XRZ pro last year, which is up the line a ways and even that had bushings instead of ball bearings. Not to disparage Bob-Cat but something to consider or at least look into further.

Marc417

Threads
I’ve looked for about 10 minutes but so far unable to find out any info on whether it has bearings or bushions. I’m gonna keep looking but thanks for bringing that to the table to investigate.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not seeing ball bearings on the swivel...just washers or in that application what I'd call bushings.

Edit:. I was meaning for the yoke swivel, not the wheel.

Marc417

Threads
I don’t know much about it, would that be a big turn off not to have ball bearings in the casters