Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!

The Chairman

Threads
  • / Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!
Thanks Max! Yeah, I've gone to the better bearings in the hubs, but mowing 30 ish acres a month for 9 months is a lot of mowing. I hadn't thought of putting in zerks in the towers, but that's a concept I'll research. I have a cracked tower I can play with to see if I like it. :D

As I'm mowing, it's obvious that the biggest problem seems to be getting rid of the grass under the deck. We had 21 days of rain in a row last month, so the grass is amazingly thick and lush. I believe as the grass accumulatesit's pushing the grass I want to cut down. I'm going to inspect under the deck to be sure all the baffles are inline and square and watched your Youtube on the blade guard with great interest. It definitely starts to accumulate on the rear portion of the chute.

As for the spring, that is on the drive, not the deck. I still have the original belt for the deck. I did find that the OE spring would allow the idler on the drive to allow the belt to come in contact with the starboard drive pulley, cutting it. In addition to the far better belt, I went with a stiffer and shorter spring, as well as created a 'limiter' made out of 150# leader. Since then, I haven't had a drive belt failure. [ceter]

A little background, I worked in automotive for thirty years, left just before the turn of the century. I also apprenticed in a machine shop while at UF. Now I am a Scuba Instructor and own/operate the largest forum/community for Scuba. I moved to the "cave capital" of the world, because I love cave diving.

mhavanti

Threads
  • / Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!
Chairman,

I was born into the automobile industry literally. Father had a couple of dealerships, an auto salvage yard, couple of Auto Parts stores, Auto Parts Distribution Warehouse, Hughes Oil Co., Action Auto Parts Distributors sold parts to his other companies also, an auto parts wholesale company, two trucking companies, grocery company, three restaurants and may as well stop here as he was a much bigger overachiever than myself.

I own Max Hughes Machine and if you happen to get down to Garlits Museum, you'll see my name all over the Little Red Wagon. For 4 decades I built and raced everything with compulsion of any kind. Bar stools, lawnmowers, go-carts, cars, motorcycles, pick ups, diesel trucks, one airplane and won't do that again, powered skate boards, etc. and always up for a race. Especially any time I can get on or into something for a wheel stand, I'm up for it.

So, we seem to have a bit of the same background.

Since you have the drive belt problem solved, something we've seen is the drive belt hitting the cooling blades on one or both pump pulleys. That has a tendency to make the belt ride up over the blade thereby cutting the side of the belt from the outer edge of the pulley. Taking the wobble out of the belt with the shorter (higher tension) spring usually will resolve that. Glad you got it knocked in the head.

It sure won't hurt to lower the height of your re-enforcement bar to help clear your thick, wet grass or flora if you prefer, lol. It is really simple and if I'd had someone to handle the camera for me, I'd have done the entire thing on camera. One metal cutting blade later and a done deal.

Hope you subscribed, liked and hit the little bell on the lower right for the next couple of videos I'm setting up now. May be something in them you can use.

Hints: 6 circuit covered fuse box, mount for that box, front, side and rear LED lights (which I don't need any more than most of the mods I've done so far), two 12 volt power sockets on the right fender (one behind the dash board, one in the front), onboard oil drain hose with shutoff, changing the hour meter from key on hour meter running to key on hour meter is not running until engine is running, and there is more. Thanks for the help on the videos.

Sorry I can't come down and enjoy a bit of diving with you. Lack of lungs makes a great deal of anxiety when in water above the mid stomach. Translation, can't breath from the water's pressure.

Max

LVFlier

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings Hustler Fans!

I currently own a 2014 CC GTX2154. I have about 3 acres of property with lots to mow around (trees ect.) and some fairly steep hills 30+ degrees. Historically I have paid to have the hills and about an acre cut by various local lawn services who use scag and exmark machines. The commercial machines have cut all my hills with zero issue and the skill of the operator. But due to them being unreliable at times and price increases I am considering a zero-turn a Fastrak SDX 54 to me more specific to make my overall cutting time less.

I wanted to see if you all had reactions or thoughts on the Fastrak SDX or other machines? I would say 7k is my very max price and the 1000 off from hustler is making me look more seriously.

Thanks for your thoughts I am very new to zero-turn but I understand the basics and have been researching waiting for end of season sales (in PA).

mhavanti

Threads
LVFlier,

I'd say go for it. Get you a set of flex forks, seat suspension kit. Make some sort of foot incorporated front wheel spindle locks so they can't turn and it will hold hills just fine. If the front wheels are locked into place and I've done this already for a test a couple of years ago, it will steer just fine with the rear axles. On a hillside, you either want absolute input from the front tires or have them to be locked straight so they can't move freely.

That is a great choice in my opinion.

Good luck,

Max

treedog

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Hustler mower owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Hustler owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Hustler mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Hustler stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
I have a Hustler Raptor SD 54 inch deck. I am trying to understand how to drain the Hydraulic System and change filters.

mhavanti

Threads
treedog,

There are several videos on YouTube that will help you out. Take a look at Enjoying The Sun 577 -Jersey Customs. Tom did a good job demonstrating the change on his SD54.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SFuz833EPo

If you liked his video, give him a thumbs up.

I have some videos on YouTube that will give you some choices for upgrades and modifications if you'd like to take a look. Here is the one that went up today on How to level the deck on a Raptor SD. https://youtu.be/Ia57dq7FHGg

Please subscribe, hit the notifications button and give it a thumb's up if you will and please share with two or more folks.

Good luck,

Max

bnasty49

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Hustler mower owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Hustler owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Hustler mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Hustler stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hi to all,
Just purchased a Hustler X One 52" 27hp Kawasaki powered mower. This is my 3rd Hustler mower. I have a Raptor SDX 54" and a Fastrac SDX 54". Have had good luck with all models that I have and the previous ones i have owned. The issue I am having is poor cut quality from the X One. Have checked engine speed, leveled the deck, tried three different style and types of blades and varied my mowing speeds , all with no appreciable results. It gives the impression that the blades are not close enough together and are leaving two stripes of grass that are not cut the same height as the rest of the cut. Hustler rep is also working on this issue. Hoping someone else has had the same issue and may be able to shed some light on my problem.

mhavanti

Threads
bnasty,

Get out your owner's manual, look for deck leveling. Follow the manual to a T and see if that resolves the issue. It may be that the front of the deck or even the rear of the deck is higher than the opposite end. This can easily cause stragglers.

Good luck,

Max

va duc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Top of the morning to you all! I have been considering the purchase of a ZT for some time now. I have a JD 320 garden tractor for mowing and a 318 for gardening, plowing etc. The 320 has over 1200 hours and is on its last leg. I mow 2 acres and since ZT's are faster I was considering one for my application.
I began to do research on ZT's, asked coworkers and a few semi-professional lawn care folks. I consistently heard to get the Kawasaki motor (the 320 has one) and to get a manufactured deck for longevity. I was looking for used as I did not want to spend more than what my first child's car cost me. The research led me to believe that I was not going to be able to find what I wanted at my price point. 3 grand or so was all I was prepared to spend.
A hustler raptor sd popped up on the local market at a good price and I started to research them. I liked the fact that they are made in the USA and had all of the requirements I was looking for. This one was a one owner and had been purchased at a lawn care business. This owner had taken very good care of it and it was in great shape. Needles to say I am now the proud owner! Looking forward to learning more about this machine on this forum.
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

HDCowboy42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy all! New to the Hustler group, but been lurking around the LawnWorld forums for a while. I take care of one acre of my own and an acre and a half of my mothers. Just bought a new Hustler SD 48" after my 7yr old Gravely ZT48XL crapped out on me. It wasn't the mower though it was the Kawi 691V that went kaput after 333hrs. Debated having it rebuilt or buying a new engine but seemed it was going to wind up costing me over half the price of a new mower after they got through with me, and just didn't really seem like a good investment. I guess it was partially my fault, as it was due its an oil change and the oil level was at the add mark on the dipstick when it blew. Seems people swear on the Kawis though and the Hustler I bought has the same engine. I going to start doing 50hr oil changes now or at least every yearly and keep a better check on my oil level. Wound up giving the Gravely to my nephew who was needing a new mower and his place is better equipped for rebuilding engines and stuff and he enjoys that sort of thing. At least it stayed in the family and I was helping him also which makes me feel better.

Comparing the 2 mowers I have to be honest and I do feel the Gravely was a tougher built mower though with its tubular frame and 100lbs heavier vs the Hustlers C channel type frame. I also don't really like the deck opening where the grass shoots out on the Hustler either with the little bar on the bottom, I feel it could lead to the deck clogging but we shall see! Nor do I like the the fact that there there isn't an opening in the deck to get to the blade belts like there was on the old Gravely (but surprise to me there is no longer one on the New Gravel XL's either) but after getting down on the ground after lowering the deck seemed like there was plenty of room to see what your doing and get your hands in there and work the belts, just a little bit more hassle though. But enough nit picking, lots of folks running Hustlers in my area so I thought I'd try one and see how my luck goes. What I was looking for when shopping was an American made ZT with the 2800 rebuild-able trannys, either a Kawi or Kohler engine and welded deck and the Hustler fit the bill. The other two mowers I was considering were the Bad Boys and that new Dixie Chopper Zee 2 for $3999 which both had the deck openings and same engines and trannys. I really liked the Dixie but when it came right down to it, having a Hustler dealer less than a half mile from the house (vs 10-20 miles for the competition) was the final decision making point. Hell I didn't even need to trailer the thing home just caught a ride down there and drove it home! And even better yet is the fact that all of the rest of the dealers close a 5pm while he closes at 6pm giving me time to run by there after work without taking off early. Well anyhow wish me luck as the Hustler seems like it will fit the bill for what I do and seems like a pretty decent mower for the money!!

Last edited: