Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!

tractordave2900

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
Howdy. I just joined. I have a Stihl chainsaw & weedeater.

I purchased my Stihl 032 around 1983 I think. I bought it at a local feed store.
This chainsaw has been amazing. It literally starts on the second pull 95% of the time.
I have replaced the carb twice, but nowadays I only use high quality ethanol-free fuel in it.
It's on it's third 20" bar, it's second sprocket, new rubber bumpers, I run only Bosch plugs, mix fuel at 40:1.
I've run countless chains, mostly chisel skip-tooth. I got a bench-mount electric sharpener at Harbor Freight that works fairly good.
In the 80's I made side money cutting/selling firewood from slash piles. This saw has done great every time.
I was looking at the new Stihl saws with I was in looking for a new sparkplug boot for the saw.
Hmmm... They are all so shiny & spiffy looking I'd never want to dirty them!
All repairs and adjustments are so easy on this saw, it's just great.

The weedeater? I don't know the model but it's pretty good. Maybe 12 years old. That also gets the 40-1 fuel mix. It's a great little weedeater.

JimmyG7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I live in Central Florida and own a Stihl HS85 hedge trimmer. I'm used to trying to fix my own tools, and I'm here to learn from those who are knowledgeable in all areas of repair. Hi to all....

Peacemakercc

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
New member here. I have a BG 58(?) blower and an HL45 trimmer. Hoping to get DIY repair tips.

Pothunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Hi, my name is Rob and I own only 2 Stihl products. Both chainsaws, a ms170 and an older 031AV. The 170 replaced the 031 because the oldtimer only wants to idle and won’t rev up anymore. I’m just getting around to see if I can repair it myself and was looking for some tips to do that.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At least it has either Walbro or Tillitson carburetor which repair kit are easier to get. Most like the metering diaphragm is stiffen which would explain the throttle response problem. Stihl has made it nearly impossible to get the Zama repair kits now especially here in Tennessee. This very irritating especially with the Zama just outside Nashville.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, my name is Rob and I own only 2 Stihl products. Both chainsaws, a ms170 and an older 031AV. The 170 replaced the 031 because the oldtimer only wants to idle and won’t rev up anymore. I’m just getting around to see if I can repair it myself and was looking for some tips to do that.
Remove the starter and look at the flywheel. If there are 2 white moon shaped plugs on it, then it likely has points. Try cleaning and adjusting the points, and see if that changes how it runs. Set the points to .016

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like fish said there are 2 different ignition systems on the 031. If it says "electronic" on the plate it has the solid state ignition. Unless someone has changed the cover. If it doesn't say "electronic" then it is a points ignition. If it is the solid state ignition be careful not to spin the engine with the plug wire disconnected unless the kill switch is in the stop position. This can kill the solid state ignition and there are none to be found. I have an 031AV . Don't use it any more. Too heavy for the amount of power it has.

Pothunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the starter and look at the flywheel. If there are 2 white moon shaped plugs on it, then it likely has points. Try cleaning and adjusting the points, and see if that changes how it runs. Set the points to .016
Thanks, I’ll check that.

Pothunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like fish said there are 2 different ignition systems on the 031. If it says "electronic" on the plate it has the solid state ignition. Unless someone has changed the cover. If it doesn't say "electronic" then it is a points ignition. If it is the solid state ignition be careful not to spin the engine with the plug wire disconnected unless the kill switch is in the stop position. This can kill the solid state ignition and there are none to be found. I have an 031AV . Don't use it any more. Too heavy for the amount of power it has.

Pothunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaned and set them, no change. Seems to be oil coming out of the exhaust too. I have 50:1 gas mix in it, always have used that.