Tiger Cat II - Overkill for Homeowner?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Often what keeps high-dollar mowers from lasting "many decades" is the lack of availability of parts.

Scag mowers bought in the 1980's still have parts available.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know of a Scag mower that one of my neighbors has that was bought in 1989 that is running just as good as ever. He cuts a considerable amount of grass with it eery week. Wonder how many of those Wally world cheapo mowers they would have bought by now cutting that much grass for that many years?

2007 Husqvarna RZ5424 cutting 4.2 acres a week and still going. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
2007 Husqvarna RZ5424 cutting 4.2 acres a week and still going. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

The Scag I am talking about was 18 years old when your sky was built. It will be interesting to see if the Husky can run that long. They are good machines for sure though.

War Eagle

Threads
I worked at a major university in the South for over 30 years. Lots of open green space, lots of grass to mow. Over the years, they've tried and tossed aside most every mower out there - except Scag. I think they now have 3 Scags (I believe Turf Tigers) that run all day every day from Spring through Fall. I'm not sure how much maintenance they have to perform, but with so much competition out there, there must be a reason why they've stuck with Scags.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I worked at a major university in the South for over 30 years. Lots of open green space, lots of grass to mow. Over the years, they've tried and tossed aside most every mower out there - except Scag. I think they now have 3 Scags (I believe Turf Tigers) that run all day every day from Spring through Fall. I'm not sure how much maintenance they have to perform, but with so much competition out there, there must be a reason why they've stuck with Scags.

Scags are as good as it gets. I personally have never seen anything that will cut Bahia Grass with one.

tigercat

Threads
old topic but I will add that my machine is for my property. It's the best damn mower I have ever used. When you start using a commercial mower, you will never go back to a residential level machine. I wasted so much money, buying, fixing junk. Never mind all the time wasted replacing spindles and cheap plastic parts that fall off after a few uses.
My scag is a Tiger Tank!

GGOSSLER

Threads
Have had my TIger Cat II with 52" deck for 2 years now, have 121 hours on it, can say noting but good things
about the machine, service it regularly, sharpen blades after each of 3 mowing session, cutting about 3 acres,
mostly St. Augustine Grass. Sandy soil.

Previously had JD 455 with 54" in deck, had over 500 hours on it, then went to Gravely HDZT, was a good machine,
but had issues with the lack of a roll bar ROPS, dear wife insisted on machine with ROPS as we have some
slopes on our property, and at 71 she worries.

You can't go wrong with The Scag machine.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have had my TIger Cat II with 52" deck for 2 years now, have 121 hours on it, can say noting but good things
about the machine, service it regularly, sharpen blades after each of 3 mowing session, cutting about 3 acres,
mostly St. Augustine Grass. Sandy soil.

Previously had JD 455 with 54" in deck, had over 500 hours on it, then went to Gravely HDZT, was a good machine,
but had issues with the lack of a roll bar ROPS, dear wife insisted on machine with ROPS as we have some
slopes on our property, and at 71 she worries.

You can't go wrong with The Scag machine.

They are as good as it gets. I have found nothing out there that will cut tall stemmed grass with one.

Richandtd

Threads
No way is it over kill. I cut about 4 acres and have been using a JD X324 and takes about 4 hours to cut been doing that since 07 and since I’ve been a good boy my Wife bought me an 08 JD 1545 front mower enclosed with two decks both 72” so looking forward to spring.

earljr59

Forum Newbie
Threads
My son traded his Tiger cat 52" in on the 61" Tiger Cat II Fi Kohler, with the best riding seat. When he bought his first scag, he knew where I used the old Scag with a Kohler that had over 4500 hours on it and still worked daily until it was replaced recently with a new Ex Mark. I had a Tiger Cub And it did a good job but rode rough. My sons buddy really likes it now. I traded my big Ex Mark 51" commercial with a big Briggs van guard on it in on a new Scag Tiger Cat II FI 61" deck and nicest seat like my sons. After using my new Scag this past season, I will say it is as much a beast as my Ex mark was and as both had the best seat option, rides as good, maybe better. Overkill will only be used by someone who doesn't have one. I feel you get what you pay for, so enjoy your new Scag.