Carburetor Leaking Gas

billy3p

Threads
I have a 6hp Briggs on a Toro GTS Recycler mower and recently removed the carburetor to clean everything except the welch plug. No issues with the engine starting and running just fine .Yesterday I began noticing a stronger than usual gas odor but didn't see any fuel leaking from the carburetor. I primed the engine,started it and it refused to idle down.After killing the engine I noticed fuel dripping around the air filter housing. Any thoughts as to what my issue might be.Leaves are starting to drop and i sure want to stay on top of keeping them mulched

Thanks

billy3p

Threads
No I did not

Everything cleaned up extremely well with no visible varnish and I can work the linkage without it sticking at all. When I started it after putting everything back together I thought I was home free. But apparently not.

Threads
Take the carb off again which is a whole 3 minutes of work and put a fuel line on it.... Holding the carb in it's upright position blow into the line.. Air should pass thru easily..

Now turn the carb upside down and do the same thing.... No air should pass at all thru the needle and seat.......... Listen very well for a hissing sound....

If it does pass air thru then you found your problem...... Is it a regular L head or over Head Valve engine ???

In all my years of working on small engines I had only 2 carbs that would not seal right on that type of carb.......

One other thing is that maybe, just maybe that your O ring on the intake is bad also.........

You said the engine was racing ..... Your governor rod or spring might be caught or stuck...... Can you take a couple pics and post ??

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

wpollock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have removed the carburetor as suggested and have blown through it with the fuel line attached.With it upright I can definitely hear air passing through.When turned upside down I can also hear a small amount of air but when I tap on the carb bowl maybe the needle valve seats completely because it feels like i am blowing into a line that is plugged on one end.

The model number of the mower is 12H802 and the type is 1776-B1
Attached are a couple of pictures which might be of no value in helping diagnose my issues.

Attachments

• Side View B_S_Carb.JPG
    Side View B_S_Carb.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Top_B_S_Carb.JPG
    Top_B_S_Carb.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 26
  • B_S_Carb_Intake_O-ring.jpg
    B_S_Carb_Intake_O-ring.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 21
Threads
The seat needs to be changed more than likely. That will solve your leak problem.

The middle picture is not the very lit up but from what I can see the linkage looks funny like some thing is hooked up wrong.. That could be the issue with racing of the engine.......

Hope this helps Mon Ami ..........

wpollock

Forum Newbie
Threads
One quick question before I start buying parts that I might not need.

The small pin that holds the float in place was somewhat difficult to remove when I initially removed the carb to clean it and it is possible I scarred the surface pulling it out with my pliers. Is it at all possible that the tolerance between the pin and the two holes on the carb body which it passes through is so close that a rough surface could cause the float to stick and not seat?

As for the linkage,I am certain I attached the linkage rod through the same hole on the butterfly valve as it was when I removed it and there were no issues with the engine racing before.

Last edited:
Threads
Sorry for the late reply .... As long as the float moves freely you are in good shape. A kit includes the pin, needle and seat also... Plus a few other items not needed on your carb... IE the adjustment jet and one bowl gasket. They come with 2 gaskets....

If you have a auto choke style carb the thicker gasket goes on that one... A primer style carb uses the thinner gasket...

If you have auto choke then the smaller air box gasket is used... For the primer then the gasket with the odd ball shape goes for that one. Both need to be put on the air box before you install it on the carb.... Not both as in all together LOL .....

Another pic that is well lit on the hook up on the carb would be helpful also or 3 pics ........

wpollock

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has been a while since I last posted about the carb issues(flooding when not running) mentioned in this thread. Up until today it has not been doing so but it started again.My next step will be to remove and replace the seat but I do not have the specialized tool recommended to do so. Has anyone removed and replaced the seat by other means and if so what did you use?

Thanks