Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?
Just wondering if I can get a better air filter.

See K&N makes one, but don't think that is a step ahead in regards to filtering. I use them on Harleys, but Harleys don't have to filter out the dust & debris.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do a cross-reference of your filter number (not engine number) on Donaldson, Baldwin, Wix, and Fleetguard websites.

I agree with your assessment of K&N--they're designed to flow a lot of air, not do a better job of filtering.

Some of the Kawasaki's have a very good filter on them, a can with a cylindrical element. If yours doesn't have this kind of filter, I wonder if one could be retrofitted to your engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Commercial Kwakas come standard with duel element Donaldson, the cylinder being referred to above.
The outsides get replaced about 4 to 1 against the insides.
Standard fitment on all earth moving equipment and will just about bolt directly on.
If you do go that route, get some longer connecting tube and fit the filter as high as possible and if possible mounted to the roll bar.
Mounted as Kawasaki do it removing the blower housing becomes a major chore and so you don't end up cleanng the cooling fins any where as often as you should.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine is the FR engine, so the Donaldson only came on the FX series engines, I believe. I think it could be retro fitted, but would be mounted on the engine cover, & as Bert noted would make the checking the cooling fins more of a chore. I check end of every mow season.

K&N said on the phone their filter is not the usual cotten gauze they mainly are. The one that is made for my FR651V Kaw is a dry filter made of Non-woven Synthetic material, does not need oiling (as that would be a mess) but is washable with warm water.

Still don't think it is a good option.

I'll do a cross check on those sites & see if I find anything. Thank You both.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Search results: We recognize the part number entered; however, we are currently unable to suggest a replacement.

primerbulb120

Threads
My FX600V has the Donaldson commercial air cleaner, except it only has an outer filter, no inner one. Works great. I think it will bolt onto the carb of the FR651V, but not sure about the blower housing mounts.

primerbulb120

Threads
IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
primerbulb120- Thank You for taking the time to post all the great pics. :thumbsup:

"Looks like" your hose to elbow on carb would go right on my carb / elbow. But the blower housing would have to be extensively modified. Mine has a flip up end cap that covers my current air filter. If I cut it off, I would have to also block it off to keep the air inside for cooling.

1) keep the air from just blowing out the back uselessly

2) once modified, mounting the Donaldson would need a landing to mount it to. A cover from an FX would work.

Looked up a Donaldson set-up last nite, they are very proud of them.

Your pics really gave great visual to doing this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The filter mounts to the carb with flexible hose.
So it does not have to sit on top of the blower.
I mounted a couple off the ROP because I got sick of spending an hour extra pulling the %*## thing off the blower every 3 months to service the mower.
Down side is that was the last time I replaced an element.
Other little tricks were to fit a finger guard off a CH Kohler that bolts on to the blower housing then trimming the debris guard so the blower housing pulls off over the guard.
I think there is an optional Kawaka finger guard , this is a worth while modification.
The fuel pump mounts were changed to bolts from the inside of the blower housing, with a nut on the housing clamping it in position so the fuel pump then has 2 nuts and come right off quickly and longer lines fitted so it can be set aside without undoing anything

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if you remotely mount the filter then you can just cut a hole in the filter cover flap.