Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?
More food for thought, Thanks Bert. I think this a very do-able mod. If I could find some of the parts used (not the filter element tho). To run the dual stage filters, re-jetting the carb would be required.

Think that is why primerbulb120 only has the outer filter on his, which would be fine as well.

FXAIRFILTERBRACKET.gif

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just missed out, the Surplus Center had 300 of them a month or so ago.
You might like to search there they may have a few left.
I bought 20 of them for 1/4 what they cost down here.
Stens do a copy well down here they do any way & also both filter elements.

As for rejetting, a load of cods whallop.
On a vehicle that does 10,000 rpm you might need to worry about it but on a governed engine that goes up to a whopping 4,000 rpm, restrictions to the airflow is minimal.
When you have a quick think about it the new filter has around 4 times the surface area of the std filter.
Honda tried to stop people fitting snorkels to their 160 & 190 engines by claiming they needed rejetting and making the kits 1/2 the price of a replacement engine.
Fitted dozens of them withut any jetting changes with not a stick of a problem, except the filters don't clog so I get less service calls.
Probably contravine clean burn exhaust regulations because the engines run a poofteenth richer but not seen problems with any of them.

Just be careful what tubing you use.
I use convoluted tubing from Tractor supply shop, for connecting remote tractor filters, not real dear and conforms to curves.
Just make sure it will not suck in.
Suction pump tube will also work quite well but is a bit stiffer & harder to route around bends.

If you are worried about running rich, buy a Color tune from Gunsens UK and check the burn before & after you fit the filter.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Bert. I'm doing searches, found complete set-up 'used' w/ metal blower hood from FX691V

But hood looks slightly different on the curves nearing the heads. Mine is poly-plastic whatever & has smooth curves around, the FX691V metal one has actual corners.

Seems anything FX is a 2 barrel, & any FR & FS engines are 1 barrel carbs.

I just have to plan wisely, just had a new up-graded roof added to the house. (pockets are feeling it).

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see several 'used' kits, but am having trouble finding the intake hose size at the carb/elbow end.

If I can verify the measurement there & what model it is, I'm gonna be doing this mod.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tractor shops are your best friend.
Lots of mouled hose with different sizes at each end for just this reason.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good idea Bert, Thanks. I'm also gonna check out the graveyard (way out back) at my local Dealers, might find enough parts to piece a set up together.

I see plenty on evil-bay, but would prefer to get my hands & eye balls on things before I dig into my pocket.

Bert- Also been thinking about checking my engine cooling fins yearly, thus having to remove the blower housing, & with a Donaldson mounted to my housing.
I would only have to loosen the hose clamp at the carb/elbow & normal bolts loosened, grass cutter shield removal, then just pull the whole works off as 1 piece.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, talked to my Toro Dealer & he told me he can't even order the high altitude (leaner) jets (if I should need to lean down my FR carb.)

& of course he told me that I can't do the Donaldson Swap, It's not made that way he quoted, no ship. That's why I want to do it, Kaw says it would be a great up-grade (done correctly), but they don't sell to the public & had no sources.

Anyhow if I can't find a source for Kaw FR main jets, #122, & / or #120 then I have to put this project on hold.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly the rubbish about fitting leaner jets is just that, rubbish.
The Donaldson filters flow air a whole lot freer than the original Kawasaki filter and to be honest, a slightly richer mix would be a lot better for your engine long term.
EPA regulations specify way too lean running so don't bother about jet changes unless you find it is starting to load up your plugs.
Mower makers are FORCED to specify leaner jetting by the EPA when fitting the bigger filters same as Honda is FORCED to include leaner jets in their snorkel kits that no mower shop ever fits.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- Thank You for the reply. I believe you. Right now I have nice coffee colored spark plugs. Nice burn. I know slightly richer runs cooler that Lean.

I'm running the OE pleated paper filter with the(non-OE) FS foam pre-cleaner. That pre-cleaner is a joke, more junk /chaff gets under it that on the outside of it.

I have a donaldson complete set up on the hook. That has intake hose I.D. of 2.00" which is what my carb elbow measures out with my dial caliper.

Changing jets is not an issue, I do it all the time on the bikes, I just worry if I were to need to re-jet, then I at least need a source for main jets.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, just bought a used FX691 Donaldson canister assembly complete, including hose. Should be here in a week.

Still no joy searching for leaner main jets, but couldn't I try using just the outer Primary filter alone on new spark plugs to get a 'read' on fuel/air mix (burn) ?