Mastercraft 6HP starts only with starter fluid

colinb93rs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, new to the forum.

So I am having a problem with an older mower that won't start. Got it off a friend as he didn't want to try and fix it so I thought easy fix but this one is far from that.

First problem. So it won't start, unless I use starter fluid but then only runs for a min then quits. So good sigh the engine isn't hooped but why doesn't it keep running? Lots of spark on the new plug, yes he did change that. Plus is wet when it comes out so it is getting fuel so I think its either lack of air or bad mixture. I took the carb apart to make sure it wasn't damaged or missing pieces and I discovered 2 things. First one is easy, the throttle linkage, cant seem to find the correct image that shows how it connects together....its a model LEV120 so if anybody has a nifty image that would be the best. There is one solid arm and a split arm/spring that connect to the same lever. Second problem I noticed is the spring under the butterfly lever on top of the carb where the linkage connects....looks like it was stretched or popped off. So some fiddling around and I got it so it returns on its on but is that how its suppose to work. I am kind of new to engines but I have the basics down pretty good. Anything you guys can suggest would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I also am using new fuel, cleaned the carb, changed the oil, replaced the plug and confirmed its not the kill switch. Air filter is off completely and it is a new air filter so I doubt its there.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
See if this helps. Then clean the carb better. You may need an ultrasonic cleaner.
lev120.jpg

upupandaway

Threads
I realize this post is old but JIC you haven't looked at it lately, I have this motor on my Ariens which had a similar problem. On mine, ultrasonic/chemical didn't work. The screw that holds the float bowl on (might have an adjustable screw mine didn't) looking down the center, i noticed something in the passage. Scraping the passage wall with a sewing needle removed some crud off the wall and it has run fine ever since.