Grasshopper 616 - Slow and getting slower

SLS

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower works ok on straight paths but as soon as I start up an incline, it begins to slow down. My backyard is not perfectly flat but it is not overly steep or rolling. I would describe it as "5-10%" slope but more flat than slope. And it appears to be faster in reverse than it is in forward, even on a straight line. I got this mower 4-6 weeks ago (don't know the history and don't have service records) also I cut around 2.5 acres - Need some suggestions.

Model #: 616
Model Year: 1995 or 1996
Serial #: 340931

Any suggestions would be great,
Thanks, SLS

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Grasshopper Forum. :smile:

BWH

Threads
Have you checked the hydrostatic fluid level in each hydro? It could be that with the level extremely low and operating on an incline the units could starve themselves for fluid. I once owned an older model that had a weaker hydro on one side and the dealer had me change the fluid and that helped out immensely.

originalswampfox

Threads
I always try the easiest things first. There is a belt that drives the two transaxles, be sure it is adjusted properly. The metal fins on the transaxles need to be clean. they are just behind the belt, blow or wash them out. The two transaxles are not likely to fail at the same time and if one is going out you would notice a difference in turning right or left. I'm rambling again, check the belt, clean the finns and let us know the results.

BWH

Threads
Good point on the belt, Grasshopper did have a update to the angle of the tension spring on the belt tension pulley in the form of a kit.

SLS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the hydrostatic fluid level in each hydro? It could be that with the level extremely low and operating on an incline the units could starve themselves for fluid. I once owned an older model that had a weaker hydro on one side and the dealer had me change the fluid and that helped out immensely.

Thanks for the suggestion - - here's what I found 1) My hydrostatic fluid was low (but still okay) BUT my fluid was very dirty and the filters on both sides looked 'plugged' 2) I changed the fluids by draining the entire system - it took 2.5 quarts to refilled to the middle of the sight glass on each side. 3) I replaced the filters. 3) I installed a new trany belt. It runns much better (quicker) and goes up the hill side w/o a problem. In another post, "originalswampfox" suggest to clean the metal fins on the transaxles and that is next on the list.

Really appreciate everyone's input. THANKS!! Steve

SLS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always try the easiest things first. There is a belt that drives the two transaxles, be sure it is adjusted properly. The metal fins on the transaxles need to be clean. they are just behind the belt, blow or wash them out. The two transaxles are not likely to fail at the same time and if one is going out you would notice a difference in turning right or left. I'm rambling again, check the belt, clean the finns and let us know the results.

Thanks for the suggestion - - here's what I found 1) My hydrostatic fluid was low (but still okay) BUT my fluid was very dirty and the filters on both sides looked 'plugged' 2) I changed the fluids by draining the entire system - it took 2.5 quarts to refilled to the middle of the sight glass on each side. 3) I replaced the filters. 3) I installed a new trany belt. It runns much better (quicker) and goes up the hill side w/o a problem. In another post, "originalswampfox" suggest to clean the metal fins on the transaxles and that is next on the list.

Really appreciate everyone's input. THANKS!! Steve